Whats wrong with my clutch?

zenboy99

Founding Member
May 12, 2002
Madison, WI
I rolled out of my parking lot at work in 2nd gear and floored it all the way to 6k. I went to shift into 3rd and the tranny wouldn't go, so then I tried 4th and that wouldn't work. I pulled over to the side of the road and I couldn't put the car into any gear. Then I realized that the clutch felt alot lighter, but I could still hear the throwout bearing grind when I pressed the clutch in so I knew it was engaging a little bit. I looked up under the dash at the clutch and nothing looked brooken. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm not really familiar with the clutch mechanism in my car.

Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

i would check the quadrant and cable. the cable might be in the process of going out. i might look at the clutch fork's travel to see how far it is moving.

if not, i would be swapping a new clutch in there. PP might have gone south. the grinding noise suggests that anyhow, but i would check the easy ancillary stuff first.

good luck.

i had a similar problem.... mine would grind when i had the clutch pushed in, and it turned out to be the Throw out bearing

i didn't fix it until it finally broke into 2 pieces and i had bearings and rings all over the bottom of my tranny

dropping tranny without a lift is a PIA so i waited :rolleyes: