Whatta you fellas do, repair or replace tools?

I ask because I got this angle grinder; a DeWalt 402 model heavy duty 4 1/2" angle grinder (the better of the 2 4 1/2"ers the make) :
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=74270-000000070-DW402K
I got this thing for free because it doesn't work... Found out the switch in its bad, but I'm missing the disc mounting hardware, the side handle, and the wrench for the spindle nut (and the case). I looked up all the parts and with shipping everything (except the case) would run me $35. For a grinder that retails for $80. Now, its ugly and beat up, but works fine when I bypass the switch. What do you guys do when it comes to busted tools when the replacement parts get up there in price? Fix it, and hope that it'll live a long and happy life with the new parts, or just junk it for spare parts and buy new?

• Sponsors (?)

depends what it is, sometimes both. If its electric I will usually replace unless I know exactly what it is that went bad and exactly what it is that caused the situation. If its a wrench I take it back and say hey my wrench broke and they give me another one.

I think I'm gonna go new, I know exactly what the problem was; the switch is a dual contactor, it switches both the hot and the common, and one of the contactors is just worn down... The motor runs fine, but if it was used enough to wear down the points on the contactor, it might not for much longer, an additional $40 for peace of mind (unless I get a Sears coupon). Plus I can strip this one down for parts.

I do love that Sears hand tool lifetime warranty. When I break tools, its usually pretty catastrophic, and I've taken some old mangled crap in there and walked out with shiney new stuff.

nosaj122081 said:
I do love that Sears hand tool lifetime warranty. When I break tools, its usually pretty catastrophic, and I've taken some old mangled crap in there and walked out with shiney new stuff.

I did the same. Returned two burnt up weed wackers for a third new one. The only tool they won't lifetime warranty is my tap and die set I bought from them. My Harbor Freight tap and die set broke the second time I used it
:nonono:

Huh, didn't know that about the tap and dies, learn somethin' every day. I have what is now the top end Craftsman tap and die set, 'cept mine is OLD (it was my Dad's... He got it when Mom worked at Sears 'cause of the discount; she was born in '55, if you figure out the math that makes this a pretty old set), but its still in great shape; real quality tool set and they're all still sharp as hell. I even have a couple old power tools from when Mom worked there, some still work; I have a 120V drill that still works flawless and a belt sander, the circular saw finally crapped out a couple years ago, but it got ALOT of usage.

When I bought my air compressor setup from them it came with a small tool set with an impact wrench, a ratchet, and a air hammer. The air hammer was busted, so I went up there to ask them if they could just give me the new one or if I'd have to box up the WHOLE shabang and bring it up. Well, to get one normally they said I'd have to bring back everything, but instead of putting me through that they just gave me their display model. I was thrilled, and they got a customer for life.

Like the rest here it depends on the tool and particular situation...

Is there any way to rig up a switch of your own??? or just bypass it perminatly.... You can buy adjustable wrenches for those thing for cheap, hell I dont even use mine on the 4.5 and 5 inch angle grinders i have... as for the side handle its probly a standard thread size can you get a large bolt and drill out a piece of round wood or something????

I dont think id spend half of the replacement cost to fix a old unfamiliar tool...

-gbm-