Wheel bearing help please

seattlesweet

Mar 17, 2004
I know this sounds dumb, but I have replaced my front wheel bearings twice in the last year because they were making noise, when I would go around a corner. But when I pulled the wheel bearings out, the races and the bearings looked good. So I checked the spindle and the spindles look good. I put on yet another set of bearings and the noise was gone for 10 minutes of driving then came back. I am sure, I have seated the races in the rotor good and I am tighting the spindle nut to spec's does anyone else have any idea's????? by the way it is a 1983 5 liter convertable with 15x8 draglites in front with 255 60 tires and a 1/4aluminum spacer.I am now suspecting the aluminum spacers but the sound it makes sounds exacutully like wheel bearings

• Sponsors (?)

Are you sure it isn't something besides the wheel bearings? Also I have heard overtightening them will make them squeak. I was getting a noise and thinking it was the bearings and I changed them because I knew they were old anyway...long story short it was my ball joint squeaking..

you might want to check out calipers out, sometimes when you corner the caliper the way it is set can push the pad closer to the rotor and air going between the pad and rotor in that tight space can sometimes cause a squeel like a wheel bearing, just a thought for you to check out.

I just figured it out,
I put a little wheel bearing grease in between the spacer and the rim. and the spacer and the hub and wham no noise :) I suspect that the aluminum spacers were moving just enough, when I as cornering to make noise. :damnit:
but I appreciate everyones help :nice: