Wheel Bearing too Small for Rotor?

Stang78

Dec 6, 2003
So I was trying to put new 11" rotors on my also new 2" dropped spindles. The first side went on with no problems. On the other side though, the inner wheel bearing seemed too small to fully fit onto the rotor. I could slide the rotor on only a portion of the way. I tried many different times, and arrangements, I even tried brute force, but nothing worked. :( Do I have a defective part, either bearing or rotor, or did I just miss something on the install. Thanks in advance.

Stang78

• Sponsors (?)

Brute force + wheel bearings = another highway statistic.

If the rotors/bearings don't slide smoothly onto the spindles, something's wrong. Before I grease up new inner bearings, I always test fit them onto the spindle first, and then turn the bearings by hand in the outer races and see if everything feels smooth. Never trust a manufacturer's work, especially on something as important as wheel bearings.
TEST FIT EVERYTHING FIRST!

Words of Wisdom for this young wrencher to remember. I'm just going to go ahead and order another set of bearings. I'll test fit them first and hopefully my problem will be solved. I really don't want it to be the spindle that's messed up. Thanks.

-Stang78

Stang78 said:
So I was trying to put new 11" rotors on my also new 2" dropped spindles. The first side went on with no problems. .....

New 2" drop spindles.

My guess is you probably have a pooched spindle.

Have you tried putting the bearing on the old spindle?

Several years ago I was a Kenny's Rod shop in Newton Falls, Ohio. They had a set of aftermarket II spindles on display, I don't know if they were drops or not. Probably. Doesn't matter.

I eyeballed the quality. They were DOA. At least to me. The machine work was absolutely lousy, I could see the machined surfaces were torn by the tool used to turn them. IMNSHO if they were wiped the wrong direction they would have torn up the rag.

And when calloused fingers can feel roughness not only on the taper but also on the bearings inner races thrust surfaces there is something wrong.

Who supplied these spindles, are they cast or forged. As insane as it sounds I have heard of cast spindles.

At this time I would say someone sold you a bad spindle.

Stang78 said:
Words of Wisdom for this young wrencher to remember. I'm just going to go ahead and order another set of bearings. I'll test fit them first and hopefully my problem will be solved. I really don't want it to be the spindle that's messed up. Thanks.

-Stang78

Darn, I started writing before you made this post.

Check to see if your bearing fits the old spindle before you buy more bearings.

Bearings aren't usually that screwed up, but it is possable.

You may want to check the numbers on the bearings and see if they match the numbers on the box. It's not unheard of for someone to put the wrong bearing in the wrong box.

Another common problem now that did not used to happen is that pre- installed races will not work with the new "supposedly" right bearings. Welcome to indo china, and shinese bearings. At least the mexican and french bearings would work.

74ProII said:
Another common problem now that did not used to happen is that pre- installed races will not work with the new "supposedly" right bearings. Welcome to indo china, and shinese bearings....

ChiWanEase.