Wheel/Tire Combos Known to fit

Discussion in '1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech' started by 77sleeper, Sep 19, 2003.

1. manny

Founding Member

hey lilcbra could you post some side pcs of the car. i want run 15x8's with 245-60's on the rear and something like what you have up front. the only problem is that mine is lowered all around. would still love to see some side shots though.:nice:

2. LILCBRA

LILCBRA Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    manny-There is one side shot of it a couple posts up with the rears only, and there are a couple 3/4 side shots in the member rides section, I think on the bottom of page 8. If you are looking for something else, let me know and I will get some pics of what you are looking for...

3. manny

Founding Member

LiLcobra, what is the back spacing of the rear rims. BTW :nice: on the new look with the new rims. mine sits about the same up front but much lower in the rear.

4. LILCBRA

LILCBRA Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    They are 4.5 backspacing.

5. manny

Founding Member

Hey i just noticed, what gas tank are you using?

6. LILCBRA

LILCBRA Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    It is from a Fox body. It takes a little cutting and welding for the fill tube and the pickup (if you use a mechanical pump....for an electric pump, you might be able to use the stock location?), and there is one part of the tank that I beat for leaf spring clearance. I am planning on making a little video of what all was done and putting it on youtube, I have had quite a few questions about it. I just need to come up with the time to do it now....

7. manny

Founding Member

well i finally got to do it due to being lucky in getting some 17x8 and 17x9 cobra R rims from a fox body mustang. the fronts are 17x8 w/4.5 back spacing and bolt right on fine. the rear are 17x9 w/5.5 back spacing and i had to add a 1" spacer and they bolted right on. on all 4 fenders the lips have been rolled. 275x40x17 rears and 245x45x17 up front. and yes i am running the 1" lowering blocks out back and 2000 mustang GT cut coils up front, handles like a slot car now :nice:

8. manny

Founding Member

well i finally got to do it due to being lucky in getting some 17x8 and 17x9 cobra R rims from a fox body mustang. the fronts are 17x8 w/4.5 back spacing and bolt right on fine. the rear are 17x9 w/5.5 back spacing and i had to add a 1" spacer and they bolted right on. on all 4 fenders the lips have been rolled. 275x40x17 rears and 245x45x17 up front. and yes i am running the 1" lowering blocks out back and 2000 mustang GT cut coils up front, handles like a slot car now :nice:

9. Steel Steeds

Steel Steeds New Member

You can't put up a post like that without pictures. I think it's against the law...

I bought one of those WheelRite devices that allows you to measure different backspacing/diameters/heights of wheels and tires. Based on that I ordered 15x8 wheels all around, with 3.75" backspacing in the rear and 4.25" backspacing up front. I'll be going with Granada rotors/calipers, which add 1/2" up front, bringing the wheels all to the same spacing. I'll post up pictures when I get everything installed.

10. kcobra302

Founding Member

agree with needing the pics.

i am running 15x4 up front and would like to go with a wider wheel. i have 15 x 7 on the back but they did not even come close to fitting up front. my king is lowered 2" in the front and 1" in the back.

11. manny

Founding Member

ok here are the pics

ok i'm going to try and post some pics

Attached Files:

12. manny

Founding Member

lets try another:D

Attached Files:

13. manny

Founding Member

one more :nice:

Attached Files:

14. manny

Founding Member

and last one

Attached Files:

15. Steel Steeds

Steel Steeds New Member

I can't even imagine driving a King Cobra with a 2" drop in the front. Doesn't that mean you catch your airdam if you drive over a dime?? Even with the standard ride height, I take every driveway and approach at as much of an angle as I can, and as slow as possible. Yes, overcautious, but...

16. kcobra302

Founding Member

it does require some careful driving. my driveway has a pretty good uphill pitch from the road and it takes a few minutes to get the car in and out without hitting the airdam. one of the problems i have had is when turning and the spring goes into compression the tire will hit the airdam where it wraps into the wheel well. i quickly learned how to drive, so it doesn't happen but thats why i always question wider tires on the front of lowered cars. i just can't seem to come up with something that doesn't hit when turning unless i go to a shorter tire.

i drop the rear an inch and that has seemed to help some.

Attached Files:

17. texhiss

texhiss New Member

You can get 29 x 18.5 x 15 under the fenders

You just have to use a big hammer and lots of super glue

Attached Files:

18. Rockin GT

Rockin GT New Member

Can anyone tell me if this wheel/tire combo will work?

I have a stock '78 Mach I and am considering the following changes:

Front: Granada 11" brake swap, 15 x 7 wheels with 4.25" backspacing (6 mm offset), 225/50R15 tires

Rear: Stock axles redrilled to 5 x 4.5 bolt circle, Ranger drums, 15 x 8 wheels w/ 4.5" backspacing (0 offset), 255/50R15 tires

At some point in the future I would like to lower the front end 1 1/2 - 2".

The only modifications I want to make to create more space for the tire envelope is to roll the quarter/fender lips if necessary (no mods of control arms, etc.)

I don't know how much offset the Granada rotors add. I've seen claims of 1/4", 1/2", 3/4", and 1".:shrug:

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Steve

19. Ron Hulzebos

Ron Hulzebos New Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    On my 78 Cobra I am running the 225 50 15 on the front on 15 x 8.5 rims but it had it's share of problems but have located a set of 14 x 6 5 bolt slots that will get fit with 225 or 235 60 14's after the restore, now comes the fun part the rears are on a 10 x 15 deep slot sporting 295 50 15's and yes they fit, had to build fender flares to keep it legal as I disliked the idea of mudflaps and with that setup i find it launches quite nicely

20. Ron Hulzebos

Ron Hulzebos New Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Steve seeing how you are planning on dropping the front end down a little I would suggest running a 14 inch 60 as I had rubbing problems after I stiffened the front end up and the ride sucked, cornered like a dream due to almost no body roll but the ride was very rough, I have the granada rotors and I think a 4.25 back spacing, even running a straight line with new coils up front the tires had words with the fenders till I stiffened the front end up but then it felt as I was driving with no motor as that is how stiff it became and tight corners like in a parking lot the tires will rub on inner fender but it does look sharp