wheels: 18s + springs or 19s +/- springs?

sublimaze

Jan 18, 2006
i was pretty much set on 19s and a lowering kit if necessary (to clean up the fender gap). now i'm thinking about going with 18s and a lowering kit. the ride will be harsher either way, but i suspect the 18s + springs would be more rough than 19s without springs. i want the wheels to fill out the wheel wells nicely, and any gap to be even all the way around. but i don't want the springs to lower it too much, as if a 2000 lb block was sitting on the roof. anyone with 18s wish they had 19s? anyone with 19s wish they had 18s?

• Sponsors (?)

To fix your wheel gap issue, wheels aren't the answer. Its the lowering springs.

Whatever size wheels you put on the car, the gap is going to be pretty much the same. When I put 24's on my Tahoe, the wheel gap is stil basically the same. What you need to do is make up your mind if you want 18's or 19's, and then get like a Pro-Kit or other mild lowering springs. That will help eliminate your wheel gap. And the ride is going to be rough no matter what wheel size you get. The lower profile tire you get the harsher the ride is going to be. The bigger tire, the more cushion....low-profile tires and a spring kit, the ride is going to be rough.

To fix your wheel gap issue, wheels aren't the answer. Its the lowering springs.

Whatever size wheels you put on the car, the gap is going to be pretty much the same.

Usually when the wheel diameter is increased, the tire's aspect ratio decreases to keep the overall height the same.
Stock 17" tire is 235/55-17 and is 27.1" tall
Stock 18" tire is 255/50-18 and is 27.2" tall
19x9 would fit 255/40-19 and is 27.2" tall
20x9 would fit 255/35-20 and is 27.0" tall
So as from the above you can see how fender gap is not reduced by going up in wheel size. All the tires above would also keep your speedometer reading pretty much the same with no recalibration as well. Good luck on whatever you decide to go with:nice:

I mildly lowered my Cobra with the Ford Racing springs (?) along with Y2K Chrome Cobra rims, 275/40 18 inch. We have bumpy streets and potholes. Whenever I hit a bump, it went "bam" and it felt like the suspension components were going to fall apart. Felt like I was losing my teeth at the same tiime. I can't imagine the ride that a more aggressive lowering would provide. Then again, I use my car mainly as a driver. I'm getting OE concepts GT500 wheels (got the horse center caps) in a 17x9 and putting my 255/50s on them. I'll be getting cushy ride at the expense of handlingl Yes, you can put your luggage in the wheel well gaps but what they hey.

mine's a daily driver too, and i don't want to get beaten up driving back & forth to work. i would get a lowering kit only for excessive wheel gap, not for performance enhancement. i read that BMR springs were a bit softer (initially) than stock. i definitely don't want springs that will rattle my teeth

BMR Springs:

mine's a daily driver too, and i don't want to get beaten up driving back & forth to work. i would get a lowering kit only for excessive wheel gap, not for performance enhancement. i read that BMR springs were a bit softer (initially) than stock. i definitely don't want springs that will rattle my teeth
Hi,
If you get them, can you give us a review and post some pics?

For the most part yall are correct. However my 19x11 with 295/35/19 were a bit taller than the stock 18's. The wheel gap still existed. I put the K springs on mine and I love it! Both for the performance and tighter but not bouncy and not too harsh of a ride. Mine is a dd and it doesnt bother me at all.

Sublimaze...You can get performance 19" wheels. My 19s are lighter and stronger than my stock 18's. By far! Just gotta be willing to pay for it I guess:shrug:

D-06 do you have any pics of your car.

Sorry man I am busy partying in Vegas for 2 weeks...

Here are a couple ghetto pics real quik

19" Wheels with no springs.............

150769.jpg

With Springs The Ford Handling pack so K springs. This is like 3 days after they went on so I dont know if they wil go lower due to settling....

150770.jpg

D-06, what are the dimensions of your wheels (including offset)? did you need a bumpsteer kit or other mods to maintain proper alignment?

i think 19s are perfect for the new mustangs... a little more wheel than 18s, but 20s are too pimpish

D-06, what are the dimensions of your wheels (including offset)? did you need a bumpsteer kit or other mods to maintain proper alignment?

i think 19s are perfect for the new mustangs... a little more wheel than 18s, but 20s are too pimpish

The wheels are 19x11in back and 19x10 up front. I do not know the offset because CCW builds the wheels custom per order, I just told them I wanted the widest I could go in the back and a wheel up front to sit flush with the wheel well up front and they made them perfectly.

I did have an alignment when I had the springs installed but he said I really didnt need one snce it was only off minimally. No bumpsteer or other mods were done to my car and it rides great!

Dan