wheels stick out more in front?

89streetbeast

Dec 4, 2006
horton,ks
ive always wondered about this. my 89 when i bought it had the factory turbines on it. for some reason the front 2 stuck out just a hair more than the backs. when i bought the 17" cobra's for it they did the same but was more noticable. is it just me or does all the 87-93 GT's front wheels stick out a little further? i thought the frame was bent at one time but had a body shop check it and wasnt bent anywhere and all the body panels and all line up straight. my sisters 90gt is the same way and was just wondering about this.:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know about that narrow in the front theory....especially in the later years where the front fenders are actually wider than they were in earlier years to fit the 16s under. I don't know if i have a better idea though. Any Mustang i've seen with 17s on it had this issue though. Usually if you try to run a wider rim in the back to compensate then you end up running the tires into the fender lips.

The fenders are not physically wider, the wheel opening is 1.5" larger, thats all. The inner fender is also slightly larger as well.

I dont think the car narrows at all, but the reason is because the track front and rear is different. Wheel spacers would help this, but even with them, the fronts will stick out further. My 4 cyl actually has both fronts and rears sunk in to the car almost the same, but I added spacers up front, because I dont like this look.

If you dont like the spacer idea, the 5 lug (SN95) swap will work to bring the rears out more. Im taking advantage of this though, and running an 18x9 in front and an 18x10 out back...

The fenders are not physically wider, the wheel opening is 1.5" larger, thats all. The inner fender is also slightly larger as well.

I dont think the car narrows at all, but the reason is because the track front and rear is different. Wheel spacers would help this, but even with them, the fronts will stick out further. My 4 cyl actually has both fronts and rears sunk in to the car almost the same, but I added spacers up front, because I dont like this look.

If you dont like the spacer idea, the 5 lug (SN95) swap will work to bring the rears out more. Im taking advantage of this though, and running an 18x9 in front and an 18x10 out back...

I seem to remember a picture comparison of older fenders to '93 fenders and they were in fact flaired out farther....not enough that it's visibly obvious untill you see them side by side but it was noticeable in the comparison. I wish i had the pic to show..

Yes you have to piece it together, but thats usually cheaper...

I know a few people going to the larger front fenders, and they say the fender is exactly the same minus the wheel opening. All the fenders I have ever used or tried to use on my car are pre 91s, so I have no real comparison other than people who are doing the "swap".