When deleting AC and smog...

Well i've read through a bunch of old threads and i'm still confused on this. When i remove my AC and smog pump is it absolutely necessary to relocate the power steering pump to where the AC used to go using the Ford kit? Or can i just yank the AC and smog out and run a short belt? Would that rub between the water pump and tensioner? Is there ANY way to do this without having to buy a kit or bracket or something, just the new belt? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I don’t think you can bypass both the smog and A/C with just a short belt. I know you can bypass the smog with a short belt but the A/C is left alone. I am pretty sure the only way is with the Ford racing bracket or the other kits that relocate the tensioner. Hope I helped a little, good luck.

you can run a shorted belt with a smog delete ONLY
if you try and just delete the A/C and leave the P/S below and run a shorted belt, it will rub the water pump pulley.

i say delete smog, get the ford kit (off buyfordracing.com cheaper there)
and then measure what belt you will need.

I am deleting my A/C and smog soon when i rebuild my motor. I want it gone, but those idler pulleys look stupid, so i will go with the ford kit!

Foxfan88 said:
i say delete smog, get the ford kit (off buyfordracing.com cheaper there)
and then measure what belt you will need.

I am deleting my A/C and smog soon when i rebuild my motor. I want it gone, but those idler pulleys look stupid, so i will go with the ford kit!

Agreed, I use the Ford kit and it looks awesome.