When do you guys change spark plugs?

I bought the car with 33k miles on it and it now has 63k. Not sure if the previous owner ever touched them.

Long story short, had a misfire today.

P0316 - Misfire Detected On Startup (First 1000 Revolutions)
P0300 - Random Misfire Detected

Car was shaking at startup but this has happened maybe 3 times over the last couple years. Goes away after I give it a little gas. Never any codes.

Well, today I got some shaking at startup, shrugged it off and maybe a mile up the road I got the Check Engine Light.

I cleared the codes and continued my 3 mile trip and didn't seem to have anymore issues.

I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to order some spark plugs to have on hand...only $30
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-sparkplugs-9904gt.html#customer-reviews

I really hope it's not a coil. I can't afford this and tires right now.

I had the fuel filter changed around 40k miles but Ford recommended replacing it when they did their multi-point inspection during an oil change the other day. Not sure where they got their reasoning for that but I have a filter, just need to put it on.

Could this contribute to the misfire maybe?

• Sponsors (?)

The missifre wont have anything to do with a clogged fuel filter. At 63k I would have changed the filter about 13k ago. Its a cheap and easy part to replaced, I change mine every other year. I am pretty sure ford recomends it every 30 or 60k but I am not sure.

As far as plugs go I change my plugs every winter along with my blower oil and also clean my air filter. My car usually sees about 3500 miles a year tops, last year it was only 2000 or so.

I bought my car with 50K and it now has 70K. I've changed the plugs once (about 65K). I changed them due to a bad misfire. Once changed, the misfire was gone and I haven't had any problems since.

After having to fix the plug that blew out (yes, I did it myself, never want to do it again) I'm going to leave the rest of them in there until it starts missing. I'm too scared to mess with them anymore. 108k on the car.

Here's why I said 30 ft/lbs. Quoted right off blownoutsparkplug.com

"Q: Why do you prefer 28-32 foot lbs torque instead of the factory specification?
A: Over the past few years we have heard from many of our customers that they tightened their plugs to the correct torque but they still came loose. We worked with 10 other Ford Certified Master Mechanics and concluded that 28 foot lbs of torque would be satisfactory. We have been using 28 foot lbs of torque for many years and have never had one come loose or strip out. To verify that we would not damage the original threads we used a test cylinder head with good factory threads we applied over 100 foot lbs of torque to the spark plug without any failure."