Fuel When I Pump Gas

Essence

Feb 17, 2006
california
When Pumping Gas it sometimes pumps 10$ worth then it starts stopping every 20 cents. Pressure is ok, I take the nozzle out and put it back and still the same thing happens. has anyone else had this issue? I notice it more at some gas stations more than others. I've also tried different pumps and still I get the same thing. It's very annoying and time consuming. Any help would be appreciated.

thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

It's a venting problem. The vapors inside the tank are displaced by the liquid fuel going in and need a place to go. The filler pipe has a vent but it may be clogged. This is most likely if you don't have a check engine light on. If the vent solenoid on the EVAP canister gets stuck the symptom can be similar but will usually trip the MIL. I have seen where spiders actually have built nests inside the vent tubes which causes a blockage. Something about the vapors that they like, I guess.

Try turning the nozzle completely upside down when you pump.

save_gas_eight_tips_hd_3_xxxlarge[1].jpg

Reactions: 1 user
What year is your car? 2005-2009 can't be filled or have a filling issue from 1/4 to 3/4 tank. You can only fill the tank when it's less then 1/4.

Really?

I have never heard that before, but then I think too many people run the car low before gassing anyways. I top off about every time I go out in any of my vehicles, usually at one of two BP stations. I'm new to these Mustangs, we just got our 2008 June 19 ..... but we've gassed it several times now and sometimes from only 4 - 6 gallons from full.

Now you have me going to do some research. :shrug:

Really?

I have never heard that before, but then I think too many people run the car low before gassing anyways. I top off about every time I go out in any of my vehicles, usually at one of two BP stations. I'm new to these Mustangs, we just got our 2008 June 19 ..... but we've gassed it several times now and sometimes from only 4 - 6 gallons from full.

Now you have me going to do some research. :shrug:

Bugged me out first time I experienced it I was coming home from Ford Weekend at Carlisle I had 1/2 tank and I wanted to top off for the 300 mile drive home and it would take 20 cents and puke some out. I had to drive until less then 1/4 tank before I could fill up.