WHEN TRANSMISSON OIL CHANGE???

BLKVERT

Jan 19, 2004
SATX
Guys and Gals, I have a 2000 GT that has 37,000 on the motor/tranny and was wondering when do I need to change the transmission oil. I dont drive it hard and it isn't driven that much at all, so does it need to be changed and at what particular mileage should I change it. Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I would think that autos should be changed more frequently due to the fluid actually doing more work than in a manual trans. BTW I disregard everything the manual says. For example, air filters are good for 20k miles, don't change plugs for 100k, etc. It is a generic guideline, and to me a complete joke. I change fluids/wearable parts more often because it makes me feel better. Did you ever consider to change your brake fluid? I do once a year because I don't want the fluid to ever boil when I'm getting on the brakes real hard...just talk to some of the auto-x guys.

Sleepy1 said:
<snip>

BTW I disregard everything the manual says. For example, air filters are good for 20k miles, don't change plugs for 100k, etc. It is a generic guideline, and to me a complete joke. I change fluids/wearable parts more often because it makes me feel better. Did you ever consider to change your brake fluid? I do once a year because I don't want the fluid to ever boil when I'm getting on the brakes real hard...just talk to some of the auto-x guys.

I don't know. I tend to lean the other way on that.

Let's assume Ford Engineering department determined through their analysis that the engine oil should be changed every 7,000 miles of normal use. It would be in their best interest to recommended it changed every 5,000. If not, they are running the risk of paying for a lot of warranty claims due to lack of lubrication. So, if I stick with normal driving, I should be able to stick to the normal maintenance schedule and not expect any damage to the engine. Changing the engine oil every 3,000 miles to me is a waste. I have to stress normal use here. If you race or beat up on your car, then you're out of the normal maintenance schedule.

I understand your point propellerhead, but think of it this way. I want my car to perform at it's best all the time. Take batteries for example. You could leave them in the flashlight until the bulb barely evens lights up, but most likely you want the flashlight to shine as bright as possible 100% of the time. I feel my car runs the same way by changing plugs every year, trans and brake fluid every year, changing the oil every 1k miles. I know 1k miles is excessive, but that is about every three months for me. Every time I get on the gas hard, I want the car performing at 100%.

I had an '86 F150 that I bought off my dad in 96 with 160k on it. It had an AOD. The tranny fluid and filter were changed every 30k like cloclkwork. When I traded the truck in with 302k miles on it the tranny had never needed a repair and performed just as good as it did when it was new, and I was not easy on that thing at all.

If you change your fluid and filter every 30k the tranny will probably last just as long as the car.

there is no filter or gasket for a manual transmission. to change the fluid there is a drain plug that you stick a 3/8" drive ratchet or extension with ratched on and unplug it. undo the fill one as well to help draining. then fill with a synthetic ATF.

bdcardinal said:
there is no filter or gasket for a manual transmission. to change the fluid there is a drain plug that you stick a 3/8" drive ratchet or extension with ratched on and unplug it. undo the fill one as well to help draining. then fill with a synthetic ATF.

Thank you very much, as I am not Blue Oval certified I'll take all the help I can get a still hold my head high. :hail2: :D

bdcardinal said:
Is Motorcraft Mercon a synthetic? And also, is a synthetic fluid necessary in a manual transmission? I can see why it's needed in an auto since the operating temps are higher but why in a manual?