When you run a Mezeire elec water pump do you

GI Joe 97/02

Founding Member
Jul 12, 2002
Alabama
have to change the thermostat? Seems that the thermostat and temp setting for the fans would need to be the same since the relay for the pump is tied to the fans....other wise id the fan is set to 180 but the thermostat is 190 the pump would be trying to pump against a dead head.......????

GI Joe

• Sponsors (?)

Route666 said:
If the pump only comes on when the engine reaches a certain temp, take the thermostat out completely.
Its tied to the fans...when they come on...the pump comes on...the fans can be controlled through the computer...most keep them set at 190 or 180 as in my case...
i wondered about taking it out...but years ago ..people would take them out of the older fords and the water would rush so quickly across the heads that it would not cool properly and the pump moved so much water that the radiator did not have time to cool properly and overheating occured.
i dont think its a good idea for the "street" driven car... :shrug: but I dont know for sure.

GI Joe 97/02 said:
Its tied to the fans...when they come on...the pump comes on...the fans can be controlled through the computer...most keep them set at 190 or 180 as in my case...
i wondered about taking it out...but years ago ..people would take them out of the older fords and the water would rush so quickly across the heads that it would not cool properly and the pump moved so much water that the radiator did not have time to cool properly and overheating occured.
i dont think its a good idea for the "street" driven car... :shrug: but I dont know for sure.

I see what you mean, but hot water cools quicker the hotter it is, so the longer you have it cooling in the radiator, the less it does, so if the pumped flowed "too fast" I would think that it would keep all of the water at the same temperature, a little higher than the coolest water in a slower circulating system, but most likely a lot lower than the hottest part of the same system.

I think what I'm saying is, it is better to have lots of very hot water going through the radiator quickly than have a smaller amount going through slower, you effectively will get more energy out of the water.

I would take the t-stat out, if it overheated, I'd put it back in and see if it helped, I doubt it would. (in this setup anyway)

I've heard the meziere isn't good for street cars because it breaks often. Is this true? Those with them chime in and tell me that's a load of hogwash please :)

I work at an Oreily auto parts, from our stuff we get, it is always said not to take out a thermostat completely. The Tstat creates a backpressure keeping the water in the radiator longer, increasing the cooling of the engine. I also wouldnt use an electric water pump on a daily driven car that needs to be reliable, they do break often and usually at the worst times.

Drew1287 said:
I work at an Oreily auto parts, from our stuff we get, it is always said not to take out a thermostat completely. The Tstat creates a backpressure keeping the water in the radiator longer, increasing the cooling of the engine. I also wouldnt use an electric water pump on a daily driven car that needs to be reliable, they do break often and usually at the worst times.
the company owner chimed in on another "channel" and said the break rate is 5 out of 1000 or about 1/2%. Those are mostly due to pulley problem which has been fixed. I have not been able to find a single case of this pump failing. This pump was designed for street use. 2 year 2500 hour warranty. [I dont think the 2500 is part of warranty but is rated]
I'd like to know too if anyone knows anyone thats had an actual pump failure...I searched...
GI Joe

I thought this pump would be for street cars, and since it is electric, it would be running probably 1/10th of the time of a belt-driven one, and so should last at LEAST as long as a stock one. I've read a thread a couple of months ago where the majority of contributors were saying that it breaks easily/frequently/quickly, and so though it must be pretty crap, or only intended to be run about 1/100th or less of what a street car would run.

Ah hell, I guess I'll try it (when I get to that stage) and if it craps out I'll shut the car down, get it towed and put the stock pump back in. I've had a feeling that these pumps shouldn't be as bad as I've been hearing (this feeling I showed in a previous post asking someone to tell me it ain't so).

As to the thermostat issue, I see a couple of people have read or heard that you should leave it in, and with the same reason, so I guess it must help, but I'm still sceptical of that, because while with higher flow the water would drop in temperature less, there would be more volume of water passing the engine, taking heat away. Also, because hotter water cools faster than less hot water, it would be better because the hot water would be hotter as it didn't get much of a chance to cool before it was sent to pick up more heat.

We experimented with this in physics (in high school. It's just hot water) and put water in a cup with a thermometre, the cup was styrefoam. 100*C water dropped 5*C or so in two minutes, whereas 60* water dropped 3* in two minutes, and 45* water dropped 1* in 2 minutes. This was ages ago, but I remember that hotter water definitely cooled faster than cooler water, it has to do with the difference in its temp and the ambient temp. Anyways, I still don't think the thermostat would be needed any more. Take it out, and if it overheats, put it in, and if that fixes it, come back here and tell me.

GI Joe 97/02 said:
hmmmmm they sell a relay to operate off the signal from the fan...I thought they would all be hooked up that way :shrug:

I have the relay. It is a better way to wire the pump. It will be wired directly to the output terminal of the alternator or battery. The relay gets wired to a keyed switch and turns on the power to the pump when the switch gets current. That way you aren't sharing power on a circuit with something else.. You could also set it up to run it on a switch with the car off which I plan to do.

Here is a link to the directions.

http://meziere.com/netech/instructions/zip/WP346.zip