Where are the speakers???

I recently purchased an 89 GT convertible. I've done many mechanical things (shocks, springs, struts, bushings, steering, brakes, and many minor things) and now I was about to replace the stereo. I've replaced many, so I thought - piece of cake :)

Here's the issue. I've known since I purchased the vehicle, that I only had sound coming from the front, I figured the rear just wasn't working. I cannot however, see that I have any rear speakers at all. Where are the rear speakers supposed to be located in this series convertible? I have no visible grills, and I don't see them after a quick look. I have not yet removed the side panels, so I guess they could be behind the carpet, but I wouldn't think so.

I have the factory radio, although it is not currently installed, as well as speakers in the dash and doors, so I believe it came with audio. As bad as the door speakers sound, I would guess they are factory. Were the rear speakers an option on the GT convertible? If so, where were they installed, and is anyone aware of aftermarket kits to install them?

If they are visible, a picture would be great!

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The speakers are in the rear panels in the back behind the carpeted area. Atleast mine where, my stereo was chopped up when i got it. That area is totally useless for me now with the roll bar. Good luck.

Look at the base of the interior quarter panel at the bottom. If you gently pull the panel out a hair (you might have to unscrew the door sill plate to free up the leg of the quarter panel), see if you can see speakers in there. That's where they reside.

The speakers you'll find are 5.25''s and with the stock amp are barely audible at speed with the top down and what you hear isn't very good.I swapped mine out for Kickers and put an Alpine amp on them.But still not great sound partly because of being behind a panel.

In regard to 71Swing's observation, in like 90-91, I think they swapped the interior rear 1/4 panel design around and they started using grills.