where is the reverse/ neutral light switch located on a 95 mustang 3.8?

• Sponsors (?)

my reverse lights dont work but have power to them.
Just wonder how you "know" there is power to the reverse lights but you don't know where the swich is.

Might be handy to confirm which transmission (auto or manual) is in your car. I'm going to assume it's a manual.

For late model manual Mustangs, the manual reverse switch is on the transmission. For example on a 95-98 MY there should be power to transmission reverse P/O wire with the key on. If not, STOP and check the #1 I/P fuse.

Shorting the P/O and BK/PK wire should force the back up lights to come on.

Disconnect the reverse switch. Measure the resistance through the switch. It should be high (open) when not in reverse. Should be low (closed) in reverse.

For the automatic transmission, the wire colors are the same (P/O and BK/PK). However the reverse circuit goes through the transmission range selector (TR or DTR). Which is accessed from under the car.

The automatic neutral safety is R/LB and W/PK.

I have a 1995 Mustang 3.8L rebuilt with 5 sp. manual transmission. The guy I bought car from rebuilt motor but also hacked up a lot of other things on the car. The electrical is all screwed up now. He added different headlights, tail lights, body pieces, u name it. I tested the electrical connectors to reverse lights and have power. I replaced brand new bulbs and they never once lit since I bought car. I dont know what the problem is. all fuses are good not blown. HELP!...lol
Just wonder how you "know" there is power to the reverse lights but you don't know where the swich is.

Might be handy to confirm which transmission (auto or manual) is in your car. I'm going to assume it's a manual.

For late model manual Mustangs, the manual reverse switch is on the transmission. For example on a 95-98 MY there should be power to transmission reverse P/O wire with the key on. If not, STOP and check the #1 I/P fuse.

Shorting the P/O and BK/PK wire should force the back up lights to come on.

Disconnect the reverse switch. Measure the resistance through the switch. It should be high (open) when not in reverse. Should be low (closed) in reverse.

For the automatic transmission, the wire colors are the same (P/O and BK/PK). However the reverse circuit goes through the transmission range selector (TR or DTR). Which is accessed from under the car.

The automatic neutral safety is R/LB and W/PK.

The circuit is actually fairly simple. the BK/PK wire goes straight to the reverse lamps. From the lamps onto ground G300.

If power on the P/O wire has been CONFIRMED, then the problem has to be:
  • In the switch itself
  • in the BK/PK wire (broken)
  • in the socket itself
  • in the bulb
  • bad ground.
If this were my car, I would confirm there is a good ground at the lamp socket black wire. A good ground should have a low resistance back to battery negative. Post.

Next, test for +12 volts at the lamp sockey P/O wire with the key on and the car in reverse. Use a known good ground for this test. These test results should point where to look next.