Where should my oil pressure be?

5.0 Nostalgia

10 Year Member
Feb 28, 2003
CT
I want to know if my car has good oil pressure. In my house, we have three fox mustangs. Two are 91's and one is an 89. The two 91's read somewhere around the "O" and "R" in the work "NORMAL." My 89 usually reads lower, between the "M" and "A." It is usually closer to the "A." I just want to know if I have anything to worry about on the 89. Is this still an OK reading? The two 91's have about 80k miles on them and the 89 has exactly 100k on it. I have noticed many similarities between the two 91's, being that they are from the same year. Just wondering if maybe the 89's had similarities, like a lower oil pressure reading on the gauge. I know that the oil pressure gauge in the 89 in measured from 0-100psi and the gauge in the 91's is measured from L-H.

I just took the car out and when I got back I went to check the dipstick as soon as I shut the car off to see if a good amount of oil was still in the motor. I know the oil is supposed to be hot, but the dipstick had steam coming off it. Is that normal too? Again, I just turned the car off.

• Sponsors (?)

you really need a real gauge to decide what is goin on. the hysteresis in the stock gauges, plus their simple inaccuracy, makes them a glorified warning light. i would not care to interpolate an inaccurate gauge.

if you have concerns and dont want to get another gauge, i would try a new sender. they are cheap and might provide a little more "accuracy" to your gauge.
my two cents.
good luck.

I installed an autometer phantom oil pressure gauge, it's awsome! It gives you live oil pressure (mechanical gauge), on start up my car runs 80s then goes to 65 70 when warm depending on how hot the engine and day is. It gives you alot more confidence than the factory one does. :nice: