Where should my timing be? :(

MyCARneedsHelp

Founding Member
Apr 24, 2002
Plainfield,IL
Just wondering what my timing and fuel pressure should be at here. ANY help is great i need to be at work at 5 am . :( thanx guys . I dont know why but this thing is a slug. I almost got beat by a honda civic. UGGGHHH

OKay its a 88 speed density still ( i know it sucks ) with the following mods
- edlebrock upper and lower manifold
- Holly adjustable fuel reg.
- Holly 190 Fuel pump
- bbk shortys, headman h-pipe. Flows dumped
- Mac cold air, no p/s and no a/c
- Underdrive pulleys, Electric fan , Taylor wires
- 3:73 gear, its a 5 speed everything else is stock .

• Sponsors (?)

MyCARneedsHelp said:
Just wondering what my timing and fuel pressure should be at here. ANY help is great i need to be at work at 5 am . :( thanx guys . I dont know why but this thing is a slug. I almost got beat by a honda civic. UGGGHHH

OKay its a 88 speed density still ( i know it sucks ) with the following mods
- edlebrock upper and lower manifold
- Holly adjustable fuel reg.
- Holly 190 Fuel pump
- bbk shortys, headman h-pipe. Flows dumped
- Mac cold air, no p/s and no a/c
- Underdrive pulleys, Electric fan , Taylor wires
- 3:73 gear, its a 5 speed everything else is stock .

Base is 10 degrees. You can reun up to 14 degrees if you run 93 octane. With today's gas prices, stay 10 degrees for now.

Fuel pressure should be 39psi with the vacuum off.

I dunno why you say speed density sucks. My car is speed density and it runs like a raped ape. Have you run the codes to see if a sensor is bad? There is no check engine light with SD so you'd never know.

yea i did. Its a slug for some reason. The engine sounds great though its weird. I just feel like its missing some power in the top end. No codes though... and with the timing at 10 it just seems like its barley running and the idle at 650

Slo 5.0 said:
I run 14* on 89 gas and it runs great. if I lower it will it run better, and is it hurting my motor running that gas?
There's no magic number for all engines. If you run well and dont get any detonation, you should be ok.

MyCARneedsHelp said:

Start with your fuel pressure at stock 38-39psi with the vac line pulled and plugged. Many people crank it a touch too high.

I don't know how it can feel like a slug with 3.73s. You must have pretty high standards. :D

jason

im starting to think it doesnt have a 3:73 or somthing just isnt right. I set my timing at 11 and the fuel pressure at 39. It wil be fine and run nice and strong when i first start it up then it will bog and miss a little when i start cruising around for a little bit. I also hear a hissing coming from the top of the motor, could a injector be bad?

What codes did you retrieve? You'll need a test light, analog meter, reader, etc to get the codes since your CEL is probably non-functional.

A stockish SD motor will show a vacuum reading of about 18-20" at idle.

You can compare the ratio of driveshaft to wheel rotations to get a pretty good idea of gear ratio.

Good luck.

MyCARneedsHelp said:
im starting to think it doesnt have a 3:73 or somthing just isnt right. I set my timing at 11 and the fuel pressure at 39. It wil be fine and run nice and strong when i first start it up then it will bog and miss a little when i start cruising around for a little bit. I also hear a hissing coming from the top of the motor, could a injector be bad?
I agree with JT, you should check the codes at this point.

I would suspect a bad sensor if trouble starts when the motor gets warm.

jason

i run 18* on a mix of 87, 89, and 92.. no dentonation.. backfires through intake once when started up and then clears up.. my god talk about a hard pulling sob.. top of a gear is just crazy

MyCARneedsHelp said:
i cant check for codes cause the last owner cut the plug out . All i got is wires.

I am still amazed at how some people will treat their cars. :nonono:

The best thing for you to do is replace the plugs. You can find them at any wrecking yard that has a fox body mustang.

OR, you can correlate by color to where it would have been located on the plug. This would be a major hassle though, and you would have to do it every time you want to check the codes.
In a perfect world, codes would be pulled before any part is replaced, and atleast every oil change.

Jrichker has a post on pulling codes without a code reader. Perform a search using jrichker and codes, and it should come up. You may have to do a little detective work to find out the color codes of the wires for each pin position on the plugs. Any good wiring diagram will do this for you.

Good Luck Dude
jason

yea i accually saved this mustangs life. Someone is Oswego tourched it, pulled it with a truck, ripped every piece of it off just to do it with no intent. I put all the wiring in, rear end, brake lines, fuel lines, motor,trans,k-member. ALLLLL OF IT. Now im just trying to work the bugs out, as for him cutting that connector off. I would like to beat him with a driveshaft. :nonono:

Ill do a search. Any idea if it doesnt throw a code?

I'm willing to bet you get some code.

I am guessing here, but if it runs ok before it hits certain temps, then I would say ACT or ECT. That is just a guess though, don't go buying parts just yet.