Where the heck is the thermostat?

• Sponsors (?)

The thermostat is not too far behind the bumper in the lower front part of the drivers side of the engine compartment...here's a picture (looking under the car from the front drivers side...)

dsc00245.jpg

BTW, the water pump is in the valley of the engine, the pulley for it is directly under the alternator...

I though T-stats don't do anything for 96-98 cobras because doesn't the computer open the stat at 195*. I thought they aren't like the 5.0L T-stats.

BTW..make sure you have lots of antifreeze, because a lot will still out of that damn set-up. They couldn't have made it easy for use like on the 5.0L.

SVT32VDOHC said:
I though T-stats don't do anything for 96-98 cobras because doesn't the computer open the stat at 195*. I thought they aren't like the 5.0L T-stats.

A thermostat is mechanical, it will open up to let the coolant flow at the set degree the thermostat is. The PCM controls when the cooling fans come on. To get the full benefit of a 180 degree thermostat it would be wise to have the fan programmed to come on at the same temp.

5.0's 4 ever said:
A thermostat is mechanical, it will open up to let the coolant flow at the set degree the thermostat is. The PCM controls when the cooling fans come on. To get the full benefit of a 180 degree thermostat it would be wise to have the fan programmed to come on at the same temp.

how much did you pay for those 03 heads? and how much difference did it make?

BensCobra said:
how much did you pay for those 03 heads? and how much difference did it make?

They were used take offs from KarKraft, totally complete with valvetrain for $450. The torque increase was pretty noticeable over my original 96 motor and the two 99 cobra motors I ran in the car at one time, but I had them installed on lower compression motor built for a turbo. I couldn't tell you how much of a difference they would make on stock compression 96-98 engine, but I would say the numbers would be right around what the mach 1 guys put out and thats well over the 300rwhp/tq mark with bolt ons.

5.0's 4 ever said:

Yeah, I guess that is kind of what I was meaning to say. The computer should be tuned to match the T-stat....thanks for reminding me! :nice: