where to find blower for a carbd 302

i have been lookn for a supercharger for my carbd 87 5.0 for the longest time, and cant find any. someone told me that paxton made a kit, but havent found that either. can anyone help me out. OR do u think i should get a 331 stoker and ditch teh plan of a blower???help pleaseee

• Sponsors (?)

you're looking for a roots type supercharger such as a 144 C.I Supercharger from B&M (will fit under the hood) or a 6-71 also from B&M... I'm not sure where to purchase those from...

You can go with the roots style Holley 171 I believe, they go for about 2500, or you can go with a blow through application. Paxton use to make one. I have even seen some old Shelby blow through setups, they are really cool. You will need a special carb, and this application uses a regular paxton/powedyne/vortec supercharger... I se them on Ebay from time to time...

Paxton makes a kit for carbed motors. It is for the early Mustangs, but I am sure you could adapt it with a little work, or with mixiing some of the EFI mount and carb parts.

sbfpaxton.jpg

http://www.paxtonauto.com/catalog/systems.asp?Action=GetPart&Part=1001840

This is the route I will go with mine next Winter. It uses a full carb enclosure, so there is none of the problems that the early blow through systems had under high boost.

Attachments

• sbfpaxton.jpg
    sbfpaxton.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 2,217
You all dont know anything about blowthrough supercharging, and roots blowers are lame. Just buy a carb hat, and any EFI supercharger kit and your done. You can use Vortech, Procharger, or whoever. Dont get a carb box because they cost 600 bucks and have a complex linkage system. You can get a carb hat that bolts on like an air cleaner. I've seen a guy on here that has the setup you want to do but I cant remember his name. Its like doiley or something weird. But his dyno numbers are in his sig and I think he has a cardomain site.

Are you going to run 10-12 psi through one of those hats? Not me. If you only want 6-8 psi of boost, they are fine, but total junk for high boost applications.
Anything over 8 psi with a hat, and you are sure to have regular carb problems, even if using special floats.

I have a 302 carbed 671 blower set up. For pics and info go to the classic forum and look under the topic "will this look good sticking out of my hood". There is alot of info the carb roots blower set-up, plus pics of my set-up

thanks for referring me hopeful. Ok, I push 14 pounds through my hat all day long with no problems. Roots blowers generate too much heat and not enough efficiency. Do they look mean, yes, but prostreet is not cool. I had no tuning issues with my setup and my aluminum hat is rated to 22 psi. The car idles all day long in traffic with no off idle stumble, and it runs awesome. I built my setup for under $3000 and that includes the intercooler. Oh yeah, I forgot you roots guys cant use those. I hear you have to get a special distributor thats smaller because the snout of the roots goes right by the front mounted ford dizzy. Not much selection on intake manifolds either if you go roots since it cant use any, and the carb enclosures are heavier than a hat. You can run pump gas and full timing with an intercooled centrifugal. As for price you have to get the kit then either cut your hood or buy a larger one, and then if you want one of those flapper intakes those are like $200. Your paying over $1000 just for the enclosure, good intake and hood unless you cut it. I kept the stock hood, $200 for polished carb hat, and $40 for conical air filter.

Do you have any pics Smock? Sounds like a cool setup, I didn't even know about "hats" Is it with that you're pushing 516HP and 570 lb-ft of torque, if so on what engine is that on a 302 or 351?

EDIT: just found the cardomain site... Crap you're 85 is such a sleeper!!! Freaking awsome

First off Smock, I believe the question asked was about carbed 302's and blowers. The post was intended for education on ALL blowers/superchargers and what set-up works best for you...Not why your blower is better than a roots blower or the fact that a roots blower can't be intercooled. This is america and nothing bothers me more than someone trying to force there opinion on me or other people. Before you go and tear into someones car or choice of blower, please stop and think for a minute. We all work very hard on our cars and each of us is proud of what we drive so please don't hate on someones car or blower type

NOW with that said.....Here are afew facts about roots blowers. The first thing is all blown stangs are nice, it is what the owner wants to do with it. I wanted a unique car that didn't look like other stangs. In Fl, there are several blown/turbo stangs but I only saw one with a roots blower and it was in a 67 stang but it had a chevy 350 in the car. The major reason i choose the roots blower was the boost. As my car sits It is underdrivin 8 percent so I'm running a small amount of boost on the street but I have another pulley I can change(takes ten minutes) and I have more boost. With roots blowers you have the option of what about of boost you want by changing the front pulley, which is very easy. The other reason is low end hp, roots blower give motors more low end hp. Also I have a 347 Dart stroker block almost ready to install. With the new block, I can change a pulley and go with more boost.
The bottom line is educate yourself on all the options and pick one that you want but don't be critical of other peoples set-up's.......We are all mustang fans