where to find blower for a carbd 302

• Sponsors (?)

Yes the cobra has one and its water cooled. Thats high tech 2003 technology in an engine with nothing in its lifter valley since its overhead cam. I have yet to see a pushrod V-8 Ford roots blower with intercooler, and if there is it must be very expensive and most likely water cooled so that adds weight and takes a lot of room. Sounds like a lot of work and plumbing when you can just do the centrifugal. And centrifugals also allow quick pulley changes. I'm not saying roots suck, I'm just tired of people only talking about them because not alot of people on here know about them or know how to install them. People say they suck too but again they dont know anything about them. Why do 03 Cobra guys take their eatons off and install vortechs, because they make more power. Why do Mach1 guys install Vortechs and beat Eaton 03 Cobras. Roots blowers have limits and generate lots of heat because of the twin screw design. Centrifugals make crap loads of low end power too ya know. I've had to redo my whole rearend setup because I couldnt even launch at idle on slicks. At 1800 rpms I'm already at 150 horses, so just over idle I'm making more horsepower than some GTs at full power. Not too mention the 400 ftlbs I'm making at 2200 rpms. From 3200-5000+ I'm over 500 ftlbs. I have a 9:1 342 with out of the box Trackheats and X-cam. No porting, no custom cam, no tricks. I didnt even have to work the carb; just nitrophyl floats and some jetting. Now with a pro carb rebuild, torker II intake, TF High ports and a custom cam itll make well over 600 to the wheels. I should have that done before the end of summer. I may be the only blowthrough Fox on this forum and only because everybody automatically thinks roots when they think carb. If the roots was far superior theyd be all over every fuelie car on here but they arent. People are using centrifugal and what works on EFI, works on carbs. I'm not saying a roots wont roast your tires, but its a little too prostreet for me and doesnt belong on a sleak mustang. The only reason it works on an 03 is because they have an empty lifter valley in which the intercooler fits. If you are only going to push 6 lbs then get a used blower on here or ebay for a grand and bolt it in.

Tell ya what, go slap one of those on your car and see if it runs on the street. They also use nitromethane and intake ports the size of your head so your comparing apples to oranges. And being that they have octane up the wazoo and only run for 4 seconds I dont think they have to worry about the same things we do. Go ahead and spin your engine and blower to 10k and see how it does. In the world of relative power adders as far as efficiency it goes turbo, centrif, and roots. I go off what Vortech and Procharger tell me, and add that to what I read in 5.0 Mustang and Car Craft. Since I dont see much roots action going on except on Pro Street machines, I'm going to stick with my D-1 especially since its only at 40% capability right now and I'm at 625 at the flywheel. As far as efficiency, why is it something not even half the size can make more than double the boost. And you can mount it just about anywhere you want. Another good thing about centrifugals is the fact that not every engine out there has a roots kit for it. I'm sure its not too cheap for the Pontiacs, AMCs, and Buicks out there to bolt on roots blowers if they are even available. But a simple bracket can install any universal centrifugal supercharger to any brand engine. Same goes for a turbo. If you have the enginuity you can bolt any supercharger/turbo onto a mustang. Not so with a roots, unless you can cast your own manifold in your garage.

If your into the tall sticking out of the hood thing I guess its cool, but I dont know how practical it is to have one of those with the intercooler. The intake and cooler alone are like 75-7 inches tall. Then add the blower, carb, and filter, that thing must stand at least 12-15 inches tall. So I guess a hood is out of the question. I'd never park that thing downtown at night. To each his own.

Its pretty pointless arguing about this since we both love our blowers and they are both different. Either way you dont see blowthrough or roots fox-bodies on the road so we are both very unique. I was just making sure he knew all the options and then I had to defend my stuff because blowthrough with a carb hat runs great even though some people think differently.

So Smock, where did you get your set-up? I was thinking of supercharging my 351W. At first I wanted the Holley screw charger, but they dont make them for the 351, so I kinda have to go with the centrifugal.

I used an EFI Procharger setup I bought from my friend. All the pipes lined right up with my carb hat. I turned the hat to where it pointed about where the throttle body would be on a fuelie,and the pipe lined right up. Then later I bought the intercooler kit, reclocked the supercharger to point down, routed the plumbing. Even though the Procharger intercooler kit I ordered was supposed to be for carbs, it didnt line up right so I used one elbow from my old plumbing and that was it. I spent $1500 for the D-1 kit, $80 for another pulley, $1140 for the intercooler kit, $175 powersteering relocation kit, and $200 for polished EV carb hat. You can use the carb hat in the intercooler kit and save 200 bucks though. Find an EFI 351 centrifugal kit and if they dont have one, then use a 5.0 kit since its all the same bolts. Bolting on the supercharger is the easy part, then you have to worry about the plumbing which usually comes pretty close.