Where To Get Good Computer?

mob

the guy who hits on his mom
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
Hey guys I am pretty convinsed I need a new computer. I've had igniton problems for months now and cant figure it out. I've been through 3 reman distributors with new tfi and pip sensors, 2 coils, 2 sets of plug wires, 2 sets of plugs. I replaced the computer alittle over a year ago with a reman unit from advance auto parts. I've pulled the codes and get nothing but emission codes.

Here are the issues I am having. I stab the dizzy and set the timing, the car will surge like crazy on a cold start up, and misfires all the way down the road, and the tachometer goes crazy, jumps around everywhere not in sequence with the actual rpm's. If I take the spout connector out and just drive it at base timing the car runs perfect, it seems a lot slower but runs flawless.

The last thing left I can think of to change is the computer, I am wondering what you guys think and if you think I should go for a new computer where from? I could go and exchange the computer I have now but I dont want another crappy one. Is there somewhere to get a good one? New or rebuilt?

• Sponsors (?)

i see A9L's on craigslist a lot...

and there is a group on facebook called the mustang trading post. i just saw an A9P posted. there is a guy in the group rick who has a shop in STL who strips and sells mustang parts

You said it bucks on a cold start. Have you ever driven it like this until it gets up to operating temp? Does it end up running good once it's warm?
I've read that it's not uncommon to get reman distributors with the KAM function screwed up in them. But usually they'll throw a code for that.

No once it warms up it will idle fine, but will never drive fine with the spout connector in. It will buck and misfire all the way down the road whether its hot or cold, and the tachometer will jump all over the place, take the spout connector out and it runs perfect. I've gone through 3 remanufactured distributors, all with different PIP sensors, and TFI modules.

No once it warms up it will idle fine, but will never drive fine with the spout connector in. It will buck and misfire all the way down the road whether its hot or cold, and the tachometer will jump all over the place, take the spout connector out and it runs perfect. I've gone through 3 remanufactured distributors, all with different PIP sensors, and TFI modules.
I meant computers in my previous post. Not distributor lol.
KAM is the Keep Alive Memory function in the computer that stores info that the computer learns while driving down the road.

mob...

Why not send yorus in to have it refurbished and sent back. I've not heard of anyone selling NEW computer for a Fox. Some of the parts stores used to sell remans and there were some chinese (read: garbage) knock-offs out there but not a no kidding new Ford unit.

sounds like timing have you looked at your balancer for any wobble, i had same syptoms and turned out to be pip but i know u have changed that. I wasnt getting any codes so i started wasting my cash changing out parts since i already had a pip go bad 6 months earlier and changed it i didnt think it was that again especially cause i had different symptoms this time. Finally i swaped my original stock computer at Advanced Auto parts i wasnt happy to let it go but after i put it in i ran codes and it said pip sensor so i changed it and all was good so my point is i would swap your computer at a parts store.

Where is your base timing set? When the spout is out it is locked at wherever you have it set. When the spout is inserted it will advance timing as the computer sees fit. I am not sure but I don't think the computer knows where your base timing is set. So it could add 20 degrees on top of your base . If you start at 18degrees it will be awful high when the computer adjusts when the spout is in. So just make sure it is between 10 and 14 degrees with spout out.. Make sure it's advanced 10 not retarded 10.

Well I may just try and swap it out under warranty first before I try something else. The base timing is set at 14*. I am pretty sure the balancer is fine, the rubber looks fine, and also the timing is always in the same spot when I check it, at least with the spout out, I'll set it at 14, drive it for an hour look again and it'll still be at 14.

I was having goofy problems with my 92, and a reman A9L unit cured it. Picked mine up from Oreilly, Autozone had them listed for around 88 bucks, but were backordered. I printed out the page from their site and took it to Oreilly and got a pricematch. $88 bucks plus tax, gave them my old turd and out the door. Been running like a champ ever since, not one hiccup.