where to get stock style radiator hose clamps

• Sponsors (?)

Wow, I would send you some if I could find them. I remove those from about every car once I remove hoses for a reason. I hate those things (I am too lazy to use the proper pliers on the clamps, and slidelocks or lineman's pliers are a pain.

I bet the J/Y has tons of them lying on the ground, etc. Not sure where to get new ones (never looked). I bet someone can send you some (I cant be the only one who hates them). :nice:

Good luck.

rockin_rick said:
Where can I get some of these spring style hose clamps? I suppose Ford, but imagine that they are overpriced there. Is there somewhere else to get these?

Thanks,
Rick

Any logical reason not to get the aftermarket style???? Just curious.
Scott

mo_dingo said:
Any logical reason not to get the aftermarket style???? Just curious.
Scott

I run all of the worm gear 'standard' hose clamps, but they are pretty ****ty quality. I am thinking that the spring style is a better clamp. The spring style clamp can adapt to the changing diamater of the radiator nipple due to temperature variations and thus heat expansion/contraction. I first got this thought last winter (it gets well below freezing around here) and I had a leak from my lower radiator hose connection. The clamp was looser than I had originally tightened it. I though that this may be due to the nipple slighty contracing and thus loosing the clamp force. A spring style clamp would account for this.

I also don't like the way that the worm clamps dig into the hose.

And I believe that if Ford uses them, while it may be mainly driven by reduced assembly time and error prevention, I'm sure that they feel that they are reliable since they have to deal with warranty claims.

Are these known to be of poor quality/reliability? Or is it just an erronous public perception, due to them being 'stock', and with the worm gear style such a standard and traditional part?

Is there a better option (at a reasonable price) than these two?

Rick

Rick, I think they are a fine clamp. Like I said before, they are just a royal PITA to use, esp if some retard slid the clamp around so you cant get anything on the tangs to loose it (esp if the hose is vulcanized).

I think your logic (to me) is sound - they should work great. I just dont know where to get them. I would sorta think with as small a Coefficient of expansion as most metal has, that the supple rubber would make up for the difference (regarding the leak issue).

As an aside, I think I have seen (online) a band clamp for hoses, which looks cool (sort of like an exhaust band clamp, which is also a cool idea). But it would not eat into the hose and might seal more uniformly.

Good luck bud.

Where can I get some of these spring style hose clamps? I suppose Ford, but imagine that they are overpriced there. Is there somewhere else to get these?

Thanks,
Rick
The stock radiator hose clamps are Rotor Clip CBT-47 available from McMaster Carr part number 7329K18. If a smaller one is needed on some V6 engine side is CBT-46. Hard to find but used on polaris snow mobiles. You must put them back on hose in the same grooves or they will leak. On a fresh hose this will not matter. Mc Master carr next sizes down is equal to CBT-44 or CBT-42.

Last edited: