Where to have gears installed?

HaynStang

Dec 16, 2006
Portland
I'm getting a complete 8.8 rearend to replace the bent one in my car and want to drop off the axle somewhere to get rebuilt and have lower gears installed. Where's a good place to take the axle to have this done? I remember a while back there was a member here who could install gears for pretty cheap?

I'm hoping I can save some $$$ by dropping off the whole rearend for a couple days rather than having the work done in the car.

• Sponsors (?)

If you want it done right give Jeff at All Ford Performance a call. He doesnt use shims, he uses the proper Ford select fit spacers to get the backlash correct. He will do it in or out of the car, no problem. He is a bit backed up right now, but there is a reason for that- he is worth the wait. (360)-993-1740

don't wanna do it yourself?

Does Jeff use the factory ford tool to spread the case when putting the shims in? Anyone "can" do gears in their garage, dial indicators are easy to use and setting the pinion depth is no prob (especially with ford racing gears)...they have the pinion shim thickness from factory (+/-) written on the pinion head itself!! God knows there are a billion write-ups online for rebuilding 8.8's.

What gear ratio you going with?

Drew

Actually I was thinking of doing it myself since the axle will be out of the car and I could take my time. I heard the tools to do the job right are pretty expensive though?

I think I'm gonna do 3.55's and they will most likely be Ford Racing gears.

Where's a good place to get all the small parts like shims, bearings etc if I decide to try and install them myself? Should I go ahead and replace all the bearings in the axle while I have it apart? I'm definately rebuilding the track loc at the same time.

Actually I was thinking of doing it myself since the axle will be out of the car and I could take my time. I heard the tools to do the job right are pretty expensive though?

I think I'm gonna do 3.55's and they will most likely be Ford Racing gears.

Where's a good place to get all the small parts like shims, bearings etc if I decide to try and install them myself? Should I go ahead and replace all the bearings in the axle while I have it apart? I'm definately rebuilding the track loc at the same time.

Ford themselves for any parts. Its where I got mine.

If you want it done right give Jeff at All Ford Performance a call. He doesnt use shims, he uses the proper Ford select fit spacers to get the backlash correct. He will do it in or out of the car, no problem. He is a bit backed up right now, but there is a reason for that- he is worth the wait. (360)-993-1740

Ditto

x2 on Ford for parts....

if you are doing the trac lock too you may want to get the 03 Cobra rebuild, it has the carbon frictions. Very nice and drops right in. Ford will also have the select fit spacers, but be warned- they are not cheap. Thats why many places use the shims. Dont forget the Friction modifier, and a new crush sleeve (if the gears dont come with it) and cross pin (when they break, you are in for the fun of your life trying to drill them out).

If you buy stuff from the parts stores, you just may be doing it again real soon. The exception would be fluid and bearings (Timken has a nice kit, and dont forget the seals!)

Another A+ for all ford here! jeff did my rear axle rebuild about 2 years ago added a few extra clutches and holding together well still and tight! If you dont go threw ford themselfs for the parts summit is the only other option (in my book)!peace

john:p

HaynStang

Most axles come with outer bearings, replace them while you're in there. do NOT go to ford if you want to leave with your ******* still tight, everything there is so so spendy. For the love of god, go to Six states distributing off NE Columbia. They have everything you need there and their t-lock rebuild kit comes with enough frictions to pack alternative if you so desire (yes they are carbon fiber btw). Screw ford and their "select" fit shims"...get the "mono" shim from six states and be done with it. It packs all the small shims together so it forms a solid one. You'll see what I mean if you search around. Pick up a dial indicator from harbor freight and some basic hand tools if you don't have them. Might wanna get an extra crush sleeve because i'd bet you'll prob overcrush it the first time.....watch that in/lb wrench!

Good luck on your project and DONT FEAR the GEAR, 3.37's or even 4.10's with a t5 is perfectly fine on the freeway

Drew

HaynStang

Most axles come with outer bearings, replace them while you're in there. do NOT go to ford if you want to leave with your ******* still tight, everything there is so so spendy. For the love of god, go to Six states distributing off NE Columbia.

Thanks for the tip, I know right where that is so I'll go check them out...

Maybe I'll try installing them myself since I can always have Jeff fix it if I screw something up :D