where to power a coill from?

93project

Apr 21, 2009
El Paso, tx
hey guys, still working on the carb setup and i have a problem. i have an msd dist and 6al, with a blaster ss coil. once I'm ready, where do i power the ignition coil from? the ignition switch? what about grounding it? the 6al goes between the coil wires from a stock harness, which i don't have anymore. thanks!:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

An ignition source that is hot while cranking and running would be good for the + side of the coil. The coil ground was originally computer controlled. Your grounding source might be different now. Info on the year of car and what kind of mods you made regarding the EEC and ignition might be helpful.

Good luck.

It's a 93 but it has no efi harness left. It has only body harness to control lights and and such. I have an old school chilton manual that I used to remove the efi harness with, so if need be, I can go back to the ground for the coild and see where it was. Or can I just ground the coild somehwere else?

Again, the ground pulse for the coil came from inside the EEC. You will need a non-TFI distributor or ignition box that can handle this now.

I found the answer on MSD's site. I just need to hook up the magnetic pickup harness from the MSD dizzy I have(Non TFI btw) to the 6Al, and run the orange and black wires to the coil. The only wire I need to run to the car itself is the red, over the ignition switch where it's hot at crank and run, like you said. I don't need to ground the coil anywhere else, it's taken care of through the msd setup. Thanks for your help!