Where to route ebrake on 5 lug conversion

old_blue

15 Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
I see that some people get the brackets off a 94+ mustang and use them. Anyone else do something different? Or know a place where I can get these from. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

What do you mean route? Mine come out of the e-brake handle, and follow the factory routing and I use decent sized springs attached to a factory hole by the control arms. This is not my car, but this is how Saleen does it, and Ford, and every other company.....

512479_46_full.jpg

9 Deuce GT said:
Just go to like Home Depot or Lowes. Get a spring that is around an inch and a half or so in length and sort of stiff. It keeps the cable away from the tire perfectly fine.

I like the look of the Factory Brackets as the car doesnt have that "Rigged" Look.

Shakerhood said:
I like the look of the Factory Brackets as the car doesnt have that "Rigged" Look.

Hey, whatever. I guess Saleen "just riggs **** up". Cool with me.

Not to mention, 5.0 Mag did an SVO rear disc install back in '94 (maybe too OG for ya) using all Ford parts. Guess what, they used the same fuggin springs that Saleen did. Must be everyone likes the "rigged" look.

9 Deuce GT said:
Hey, whatever. I guess Saleen "just riggs **** up". Cool with me.
Saleen is actually known for "rigging" a few things up, trust me on that.
You also need to remember, saleen did all their foxes, before the 95 cobra R kit came out for a fox, so they did what they felt necessary to make it work.

And i have to agree with shaker, that spring does look rigged.
That's not to say i haven't rigged things before.

I just don't understand why you would need to, i used the Ford Motorsport cables that go with the 95 Cobra R brake kit that's for a fox, and they went on just like the factory cables.

2000xp8 said:
Saleen is actually known for "rigging" a few things up, trust me on that.
You also need to remember, saleen did all their foxes, before the 95 cobra R kit came out for a fox, so they did what they felt necessary to make it work.

And i have to agree with shaker, that spring does look rigged.
That's not to say i haven't rigged things before.

I just don't understand why you would need to, i used the Ford Motorsport cables that go with the 95 Cobra R brake kit that's for a fox, and they went on just like the factory cables.

WHOA, calm down meow.
I didn't buy a kit I pieced it together. A lot of things on a fox looked "rigged" so the springs would be no different. I appreciate 9 deuce's easy fix option as that was what I was looking for. I would have gone with it if I didn't have to run back and forth to lowe's to find the right size spring. I took another route.
CLIP1.JPG

Attachments

• CLIP1.JPG
    CLIP1.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 71
I didn't buy a kit either. I just bought the e brake cables which are available seperately. Cost me $55 at downsford, and they are direct fit.

BTW, i wasn't getting aggressive, i'm really just curious on why the stock routing won't work for you.
When i said " i just don't understand", i really meant it, lol.

2000xp8 said:
I didn't buy a kit either. I just bought the e brake cables which are available seperately. Cost me $55 at downsford, and they are direct fit.

BTW, i wasn't getting aggressive, i'm really just curious on why the stock routing won't work for you.
When i said " i just don't understand", i really meant it, lol.

What year is your mustang? 93? if so then I think the routing is different as on mine the cable will run against the tire if I didn't pull it back. On the 93, 94+ there is an additional bracket that pulls it away from the tire. I bought the 2809 (?) cables that most people get when they convert to 5 lug. I can take pics if you want to show you that it rubs. So I got a rubber isolated 1/4" clamp to pull it further underneath the car. In the pic I posted you can see that the clamp is set under the torque box. The stock location puts it along the inner side of the rocker panel right in front of the tire which when hooked to the rear of the disc brake makes it rub. NO worries here. I just didn't want anyone getting all bent up over something silly. LOL. I got ya though. Thanks for your help as well.

old_blue said:
oh and just fyi I think the m2300 kit from ford uses the spring method as well. Atleast it is in the parts list. thanks again.

I have the M2300K Kit and the OLD Parts list had springs on it, not the newer ones. I am sorry if it pisses of people that I like to have the 5 dollar factory brackets on my car instead of some springs hanging down, to each his own.