which are better flowing heads...

90mustangfan

Oct 18, 2005
So cal
AFR 165cc cnc'd 1.90/1.6 valves
Edelbrock performer 1.90/1.6 valves
Trickflow street 2.02/1.6 valves

which head flows the best out of the box for a mild emissions legal H/C/i setup?

Which of these heads will make the most Hp/tq on a Emissions legal N/A setup on a 302ci, with all other bolt-ons, good intake manifold, Good emissions OTS cam, and all supporting mods.

Would the trickflow kit make more power than mixing parts Examp: AFR's, TFs cam, Edel Intake?
Would the Edelbrock top-end kit make more power than the Trickflow top-end kit?

which would make more power a parts mixed top-end kit, or buying a complete kit from trickflow or Edelbrock?
The mixing parts would be something like AFR 165's, TFs1 cam,performer Intake or
Twisted wedge, Trickflow cam, Performer intake

• Sponsors (?)

your going to hear a ton of different answers to that! i know the edelbrock flows better than the Afr's i have a book on both! and it says the edelbrock ones flow better! as for the other ones they would probably flow better then both of the other ones! i have the edelbrock performers and have no troubles with them and i'm happy with them! James

Which head will I have the least Issues with?
I heard edelbrock heads have crappy valve guides and they wear out fast.
I heard AFR(old style) have weak valve springs, the new versions have stronger valve springs though.
I heard that TFS heads out flow AFR 165cc and 185 cc heads, because the tfs have bigger valves 2.02 valve and 61cc chambers
TFs heads can come O-ringed, AFR'/edels you have to pay to have done

Ive had my edelbrock's on now for 5 years and no problems with them so far! as for the others i dont know! but I'm sure others will post to let you know there experiences with the other ones! but like i said i have no problems with mine! and would recommend them to anyone! i had my heads done from edelbrock so i could use the fel-pro lock wire gaskets! so i dont blow a head gasket when i put my S/C on!James

Airflow Chart for Street AFR 165 Heads:

Lift Value (in.) - Intake Flow - Exhaust Flow (w/ 1 3/4" pipe)

Inches - CFM - CFM

0.200 - 123 - 118
0.300 - 186 - 153
0.400 - 225 - 178
0.500 - 243 - 185
0.550 - 246 - 190
0.600 - 250 - 191

Tests conducted at 28 in. of water (pressure)
Intake valve size 1.090in./exhaust valve size 1.600 in.

Airflow Chart for 170cc Street and Track Heat Heads:

Lift Value (in.) - Intake Flow - Exhaust Flow

Inches - CFM - CFM

0.100 - 063 - 053
0.200 - 141 - 107
0.300 - 205 - 144
0.400 - 233 - 171
0.500 - 251 - 187
0.600 - 251 - 193
Intake valve size 2.020 in./exhaust valve size 1.600 in.

Airflow Chart for Performer 1.9 #60379 Heads:

Lift Value (in.) - Intake Flow - Exhaust Flow

Inches - CFM - CFM

0.100 - 072 - 057
0.200 - 131 - 105
0.300 - 185 - 131
0.400 - 214 - 156
0.500 - 223 - 168
0.600 - 226 - 175

Intake valve size 1.090 in./exhaust valve size 1.600 in.

All the numbers above are from each companies websites.

Lots of things can cause inflated or deflated flow numbers. Most flow data is done with a big bore and a larger exhaust pipe, then what many actually run on the street.

According it each numbers, the trickflow flow more. Flow is not where it is all at though:)

Now, comparing cross sectional numbers you get a little different story to add as well to just the intake side.

- AFR is 2.01 square inches.
- Trickflow is 2.18 square inches.
- Edelbrock is 2.07 square inches.

The Trickflows outperform in that as well by a small margin.

Then, you have to factor in shape and consistency, along with getting rid of the spent gases out of the exhaust runners.

This is where I believe the AFR heads shine.

All of those heads are going to perform very close. The Trickflow heads have a larger intake valve which helps out their flow numbers compared to the other ones.

Based on flow alone, the Edelbrocks scored last place.

I have seen some dyno comparisons with the Airflow Research heads made more average horsepower across the powerband, possibly due to their exhaust superior design.

I was very happy with my AFR heads and they will be my next heads.

Just some opinions, that's all:)

If i were bolting these to a stock 302, i would get the AFR's. If i had a 347, i'd get the TF's. You really don't need 2.02 intake valves on a stock 302 unless you can run high RPMs.

AFR is a better quality head and are really nice. they get excellent flow numbers with small runners and smaller valves. we went to the PRI show in december and got to check out all the big name heads and etc and AFR was the best IMO they looked really nice, very good quality! dont get me wrong the TFS and eddys were great too i just liked the afrs

Which would make more RWHP HP/TQ on a 302 With all the bolt-ons. With the possibility of a supercharger in the near future after the H/C/I install?
Trickflow street heat top-end kit
Or
AFR's 165's, TFS1 cam, trickflow street intake manifold or Eddy Performer
?

To be honest, both combinations are going to make such similar numbers, that it would be hard to tell them apart.

I just have my head preferences...

Foxfan88 - How were you able to get into the PRI show? Do you have to be a part of a racing organization or organization related to the show?

go with trick flows
and dont worry about the storys about the afr's
put the track heat kit on a friends car it ran 13.7 at 107.6 and i know that not all it had
put the edelbrock performer heads intake and e cam in a 95 and that car was really surprising
i have the track heat kit for one of my car's now and edelbrock for my other car
by the way the 95 convert i put the edelbrock top end on the stock motor wooped up on the kids 10.5 to 1 94 vert with a custom cam afr 165 and about every other little bolt on including the tweaker to tune the dads car no tuning the ting moved out real nice

Ive had my edelbrock's on now for 5 years and no problems with them so far! as for the others i dont know! but I'm sure others will post to let you know there experiences with the other ones! but like i said i have no problems with mine! and would recommend them to anyone! i had my heads done from edelbrock so i could use the fel-pro lock wire gaskets! so i dont blow a head gasket when i put my S/C on!James

james is your "." key gone or something?

Which would make more RWHP HP/TQ on a 302 With all the bolt-ons. With the possibility of a supercharger in the near future after the H/C/I install?
Trickflow street heat top-end kit
Or
AFR's 165's, TFS1 cam, trickflow street intake manifold or Eddy Performer
?

With the possibility of a supercharger…my nod would go to the trick flows. Their flow capabilities and the ability to be ported for serious flow means they are likely the last head you will need for your stang. There are guys running turbo setups with the twisted wedge heads in stock form up past 1000rwhp.

While the AFR's would typically be the better choice in a n/a setup…keep in mind your spending extra money for the CNC porting that's done for those heads. If you were to ever invest in an aftermarket block and go with forced induction…you'd be better off selling the AFR 165's and going with a larger…more capable head.

Just some food for thought. Both are great performers…and both when combined with forced induction will have no issues pushing the stock block past it's limits.