Which CAI should I buy?????? C&L or K&N FIPK

Cobra Jay

Apr 7, 2004
Motor City
I'm about to add a little more power to my Pony and I did a search on here and read a few mixed reviews about the C&L MAF's. Some guys said they were good, others said they were junk,made out of poor quality materials and a waste of money.

My plan was to buy the C&L 85MM MAF W/CAI inlet pipe kit and keep the 85mm MAF in the box til next Spring and then install it along a C&L upper intake and Accufab 75mm TB and X-Cal2 or DiabloSport Pedator!

My other option was to buy a K&N FIPK. I've read and heard good things about them from guys at work who have them on their trucks.

What should I do? :shrug:

C&L OR K&N FIPK???????

OMT, before someone says it, cause I know someone is going to, I'm also going to be installing a Flowmaster American Thunder II Cat-Back along with the CAI in the next week or 2.

No headers just yet, $ is kind of tight right now, and I'm still not sure if I'm going to go LT,Mids, or Shorties and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep my BBK o/r H or go with a MAC Pro-Chamber. :shrug: I'll see how the Cat-Back sounds with the BBK H 1st. I already know that if I don't like it, I loved the way yours sounds Mossberg! :drool:

• Sponsors (?)

GT JAY said:
I'm about to add a little more power to my Pony and I did a search on here and read a few mixed reviews about the C&L MAF's. Some guys said they were good, others said they were junk,made out of poor quality materials and a waste of money.

My plan was to buy the C&L 85MM MAF W/CAI inlet pipe kit and keep the 85mm MAF in the box til next Spring and then install it along a C&L upper intake and Accufab 75mm TB and X-Cal2 or DiabloSport Pedator!
I see there is nothing in your sig that would make you need to upgrade your MAF

Save your $'s a bit longer and get some 4.10's or 3.73's much better bang for your buck.
As stated by a few earlier you should not need to change your MAF the Ford one is already 85 MM.

If your looking at CAI look at Ford Racing one! it's really sweet I know someone who just fitted one a couple of weeks ago and it's about the same price $200 as the K&N FIPK II. The FRPP one has a cool plastic cover over it to help keep out the hot air from the engine bay + it looks nice.:nice:

lol.. like 4 people said get 4.10's when he has them. anyways, to answer your question- JLT RAI.. im teliing you this intake is mean looking, which is a part of why you buy one, and i could really tell a diff over a k&n drop in. it wasnt as good. the price vs the other two systems is less and the quality and gains are great for an intake. plus.. with it being a rai, you can pop your headlight out at the track and gain another mph on your trap. :nice:

I would probably hold off on the CAI if I were you... I have the FIPK 2 but the only reason is that I got it used here on the classifieds for like $100.00 to my door... I would never pay full retail one.

if you really want to get one go with the K&N. I had mine on for about 2 years and love it. Its not going to give you any noticable gains but does give you a cool sound when you turn off your car. :D

Anyone see the CAIs listed on eBay or bought one? I've seen them varying in price from around $25-50. They look like the other name brands. I've often wondered if there is a difference, since isn't a pipe basically a pipe? The only thing I would think would make a difference would be the performance of the filter and you could always swap for a better one.

i just got rid of my C&L inlet tube because it would get really hot.
I am replacing with a Demolet intake
www.demolet.com
and had it painted to match the car.
and like others have said don't waste your money on a C&L MAF...these are different then 5.0's. If and when you need to upgrade your MAF simply get the Ford Lightning 90mm unit for like $75

stng said:
I would probably hold off on the CAI if I were you... I have the FIPK 2 but the only reason is that I got it used here on the classifieds for like $100.00 to my door... I would never pay full retail one.
true that. i paid $75 shipped for my FIPK II used. i did it so i could spiff up my engine bay and Finally be able to pop my hood at shows. no real noticeable gains. i actually felt a bigger SOTP gain from my custom ram air setup, which consists of a dryer hose from the bottom of the front bumper that runs up through the fender, and straight into the filter. better top end pull :shrug:

DerekStangGT said:
true that. i paid $75 shipped for my FIPK II used. i did it so i could spiff up my engine bay and Finally be able to pop my hood at shows. no real noticeable gains. i actually felt a bigger SOTP gain from my custom ram air setup, which consists of a dryer hose from the bottom of the front bumper that runs up through the fender, and straight into the filter. better top end pull :shrug:
Do you have pics of this? Sounds interesting...

I got my FIPK II off eBay used for $50 to my door. Anything more than that & it would've been a waste of $$$. The biggest gain was how it looks under the hood, though!