Which CAI/Tune for 2012 GT Daily Driver

AFMarksman

Mar 27, 2012
All,

I'm new to the forums with a new 2012 GT Premium. I'm not new to Mustangs; I owned an '88 LX 5.0 which went from daily driver to track car.

However, this time around, the 2012 is my daily driver. I would like to increase the performance without loosing the daily driver qualities (idle, fuel economy, etc). I'm looking at different CAI/Tuner packages, but I've heard good and bad of them all, and I'm a little lost. I did the search feature before posting, but didn't find anthing that quite covered what I'm looking for. I did see the Steeda post, but I'm not sure if they are using the car as a daily driver.

What are my options? I would like to hear your suggestions! Thanks!

Dave
Fort Worth, TX

• Sponsors (?)

All,

I'm new to the forums with a new 2012 GT Premium. I'm not new to Mustangs; I owned an '88 LX 5.0 which went from daily driver to track car.

However, this time around, the 2012 is my daily driver. I would like to increase the performance without loosing the daily driver qualities (idle, fuel economy, etc). I'm looking at different CAI/Tuner packages, but I've heard good and bad of them all, and I'm a little lost. I did the search feature before posting, but didn't find anthing that quite covered what I'm looking for. I did see the Steeda post, but I'm not sure if they are using the car as a daily driver.

What are my options? I would like to hear your suggestions! Thanks!

Dave
Fort Worth, TX
I would definitely suggest the Steeda CAI with SCT X3 tuner and our custom tuning. We focused on the overall increase of power throughout the entire power band, which is important for a daily driver.

Dave, I installed the Steeda CAI and SCT X3 with a 93 octane tune. I drive my car every day and have noticed nothing changed about drivability. We dyno'd before and after the CAI and tune. I picked up 24 rwhp and 15 rwtq. This was done over 2 weeks ago and I'm very happy with results. Most of the increase is over 4000 rpm.

Dave - Dallas, TX

Some of the people from a shop I know in Dallas swear the JLT CAI with SCT is the only way, but I've heard JLT with Bama, and/or Steeda with SCT...

So, now I'm wondering the same thing. I've also been told from all of those sources that the expected wheel hp and tq gain is over 30 each. Im told to expect right under 400 whp since I'm probably only putting 365ish down now. Is that at all accurate? 24whp and 15tq is not what they're promising, although still quite substantial. lol

A lot of what they promise is flywheel horsepower. Only the dyno will tell you the truth. CAI's that have the same size MAF tube as stock will not get you anything other that a smother flow (maybe 1 or 2 hp). My stock Maf tube was 85 mm. The Steeda CAI has a 101 mm MAF for the Boss 302. That is why it needs a tune to correct the fuel for the extra flow of air.

Some of the people from a shop I know in Dallas swear the JLT CAI with SCT is the only way, but I've heard JLT with Bama, and/or Steeda with SCT...

So, now I'm wondering the same thing. I've also been told from all of those sources that the expected wheel hp and tq gain is over 30 each. Im told to expect right under 400 whp since I'm probably only putting 365ish down now. Is that at all accurate? 24whp and 15tq is not what they're promising, although still quite substantial. lol
http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-power-pak-for-2011-and-up-ford-mustang.html

We have seen gains up to 44HP and 52ft/lbs TQ on our ultimate induction pak for the 2011-2012, on this particular dyno we saw approximately 35HP and 36TQ peak gains:
5l-powerpak-6.jpg

Brandon,
how is the Steeda package for the Boss ?
I answered in the other thread, but I'll repost here too. :)

It's a great CAI. It features our billet aluminum velocity stack MAF housing (larger than the GT CAI), a larger CAI inlet tube, and features a lifetime high-flowing air filter. It also utilizes the factory cold air duct work and the heat shield conforms perfectly to the hood liner (using CAD data from Ford). http://www.steeda.com/store/boss-mustang-cold-air-intake.html

We have seen peak gains of up to 28HP and 22 ft/lb TQ. Let me know if I can get you one of these.

boss-mustang-cold-air-intake.jpg

Steeda Brandon,
I am also very interested in the Steeda CAI w/Tune but I would like to add the Boss 302 Intake with the cammed tune. What do you think about that? I have a 2012 GT automatic and can this be done in the Georgia location? About what do you think it would cost please PM?
Sorry to jump in on the thread but a topic I have been exploring myself.:)

Reactions: 1 user