Which car?

Alright, I'm going between three cars as my project/toy. One car is a Nissan 240sx, with a SR20DET powerplant, they have some really nice potential, but very little displacement. But that turbo does make up for it. The second car is a Mustang GT Foxbody, probably with a 302/306, maybe a 351. The third car is a Camaro (88-92) with either a 305 or a 350. Really, for looks I like the Foxbody the most. But, this is also the most common car. I think all in all the Camaro probably modifies the easiest. But its also the heaviest car, slowing it down per gain. So, I know this will be very biased since this is a Mustang forum, but what does everyone here think? Any experiences with these? If I get the Nissan, I will probably use a DFI system, but with the Mustang I'm still not sure if it will really be needed. Any thoughts?

-Andrew

• Sponsors (?)

Well, mainly the car will be used more straight line. That's where the Camaro probably beats anything. But the 240 will handle the best more than likely, and be the slowest in the straight aways. The Mustang will be the middle of both worlds IMO

If your talking 80's f-body then the majority of Fox's will eat them up strait line. And easiest to mod is gonna go the the fox body too, i know there is alot of chevy/gm crap out there but the part available for fox mustangs is rediculous. Dont waste your time on a 305. Car craft a few yrs back had a formula 350 firebird that couldnt break out of the 15's then went high 14's w/a 125 shot i believe. In my honest opinion, get a mustang, and im not just sayin this cuz i have one, i also have an eagle talon and a Grand national so im not ford bias. later

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but 3rd Gen Camaros are pretty much junk, especially with a 305. The Mustang will be the easiest and cheapest to mod, hands down, as well as a fun car to drive. The Nissan will be easy to upgrade to a certain point, but you will hit a wall shortly. The Nissan will also be a fun car to drive! If it were up to me, I'd take the Mustang hands down!

Jakob

with a mustang all you need is a good H/C/I combo and a good driver and your in the 12's. With a 5-spd notch with some dropped weight its relitively easy to break into the 12's w/gears, short belt and slicks. Or just strap on a blower and your basically in the 12's w/a good driver.

Why would you do a Nissan? I never knew the Foxbody responded to modification that well. I mainly only researched the 94/95 GT's, but since this will not be a daily driver I wanted to go with the vehicle I believe is built to perform better. Is it mainly the ECU that changes how well the motor responds? Or did I just completely miss something

The Nissan will cost a lot more to get running as fast as the mustang... the camero should be out of the question due to weight and powerplant restraints. Granted the the Silvia to be is an awsome car and I have a lot of respect for them but it is not a strait line car at all. It is made for open roads with lots of turns, not your street light runner or 1/4 mile. Get a car suited best in its element. I am not saying that the Fox can't handle either but it will take a bit more work to get it in that arena compared to the Silvia. The highest I have seen on the lateral G for a fox is 1.3gs which is pretty damn good compared to any super car. Car is probably not very streetable and will bust a kidney or two but just to show you that you can build a stang to do just about anything. If you do decide to go for the camero, stick to the IROC-Zs with the 350. That will give you the best platform that the camero has to offer in those years.
Kevin

Well, so far the Mustang is still my prime choice. The Nissan is much easier to purchase initially though. A Foxbody in bad shape and high mileage is still 2000, where as a Nissan with good body and high mileage is 1500. But man 1.3g would make me piss my pants

Mustang all the way! My friend has an IROC, not a bad looking car but not what i'd call "fast", and my car is basically stock so its not the quickest thing out there either. I just swapped to LX tailights on my car so he has something different to look at for awhile :D

i would have to say mustang. the 240 will cost you entirely too much money. i just did a custom turbo build with a buddy on his car and it is a damn mess. unless you have lots of time and moiney dont do it. and it will never be faster than a mustang. the camaro are good cars for a basic street car, but for true performance the mustang is your best bet. you an get a stroked 347 for under 3K. get some gt40 heads and a cobra intake, good cam and your running my man. 11 second street mustangs are very common. and still totally driveable. lower costs and more power. :nice:

do the mustang, it's lightest, and responds to mods very well. However if u got some cash that 3rd gen maro would look nice w/ a ls1 in it, or if u have more throw out for the new corvette's z06. Other then that the mustang is best.

Michael Yount said:
Drop a 5.0L in the 240......might as well do something different.
Why stop there? Turbo charge that sucker!!

In honesty the camaro was beat by the mustang for so many reasons. The 5.0 responds so well to mods, it's a nimble car, reliable, lightweight, huge aftermarket, and good looks. The camaro however had sharp looks and styling, poor reputation for reliability, overweight, poor handling, uncomfortable - need I say more?
The nissan though, turbos are always nice and you can't beat the spooling sound. However due to the demand for aftermarket on the mustang, parts are plentiful and cheap whereas the nissan is neither. It's your call but I love mustangs and always will and I love the IROC and the nissan but mustang is hands down worlds more fun to drive and cost-effective.