Which car?

xx - the answer is simple; you're gonna have to decide what you want to do. Come to a Mustang site and you can predict the answer you'll get most of the time. Build what YOU want to build. If you like the Camaro, build it. If you like the Nissan, build it. If you like the Stang, build it. I don't think any are better or worse than the others. They all have their own strengths and challenges. Better/worse are just subjective judgements. Do what you want to do.

Me? I like something that you don't see every day. And every show/cruise/strip I go to is overcome with Stangs and Camaros. Nothing wrong with that - but I have no interest in adding to what I feel is an already over-crowded arena. I'd say you'd have something really different if you dropped a small block Chevy or Ford in the 240. You won't see that every day.

• Sponsors (?)

See, that's one thing. I don't want something you see every day, but I really don't have loads of money to blow. So, the Mustang Foxbody is one of my favorite cars in reality, and it's probably what I'm going to use. I'm probably going to end up using a 302 though, I dont see much point in going up to a 351 or a 347 when I'm not going to want to break 9's or anything like that. Just something fun for the most part

The fox body mustang (specifically the 5.0/302 engine) has finally joined the ranks, if not passed the chevy 350 in terms of ease of modability. The fox bodied mustang was a gift from the car gods. the computer is a basic eec iv which loves mods, yet is basic enough for home garage mechanics to work on, yet sophisticated enough to make the car run like a dream. choice of parts is simply stunning. Literally, every mechanical part on the fox bodied mustangs are re manufactored by the aftermarket, and it's a matter of which company to buy from, not where to find the part. the 80's/early 90's camaro's are simply junk. Sure there were a couple of decent ones, but even the best 80's camaro was debatebly not fast enough to handle a bare bones notchback 5.0 mustang.

If you don't have a butt load of cash, the 5.0 mustang is easily the best car on the market to modify if you're looking for speed.

Props to the import racers who do it right. There are LOTS of riceburners out there, but FAST ones are far and few between, doing a 240 would be cool, no doubt, but check your wallet and get your ass ready cause you're gonna be taking a lot of it without vasoline. imports are very expensive.

Well, how fast can the Foxbody with a 302 get Naturally Aspirated without breaking the block open to change the pistons and rods out for forged? I see a lot of 500whp Stangs, but they're all blown for the most part. I do plan on doing a "wee" of weight reduction hehe.

Really, I'd like to get a Rolling Chassy, and a block. But I don't want a stock 302 block, I would like something stronger like a R302 or a 351 block. But I am unaware of anywhere I can get just a block, maybe with low compressoin pistons but I'm not sure of the power I can make without a s/c.

xxtavixx said:
Well, how fast can the Foxbody with a 302 get Naturally Aspirated without breaking the block open to change the pistons and rods out for forged? I see a lot of 500whp Stangs, but they're all blown for the most part. I do plan on doing a "wee" of weight reduction hehe.

87-92 fox bodies came with forged pistons. the reason everyone blows is b/c its easy power 2 grand and ur in the 12's. N/A i've seen guys with gears pullies exhaust and slicks run 12's i've also seen guys the the same set up run mid 14's it all depends on the car and the driver on a n/a 351 u can easily make 600 hp stock 5.0 blocks can handle up to abour 550 rwhp R302 block is gunna run u about 1500 bucks, look for some one who has started a project but can't finish it

You can get an R-block 302 that will probably support as much power as you need.

The sky really is the limit with a 302. You can get a bunch of boltons and a blower and run 12s EASILY on street tires, and its not that expensive considering you don't even have to open up the engine.

Bang for your buck = Mustang. Nissan gets :owned: again :p

However, it is also a matter of personal style and taste. Get what feels good for you, as always.

Well, a blower is far from cheap. I would probably need to go up to at least 36 lb injectors, which I'm not sure if the ECU could handle that or not (Are they low or high impendance?). And the truth being I would want an intercooler, that's where the price is going to jump. But I suppose I could haggle a nice little setup for around 1500, doing all the piping myself and buying a used supercharger. Which wouldn't be bad really, but I look at some of these kits for 3000 or more...Ouch

xxtavixx said:
Well, in terms of a stronger block what are my choices? As long as it's at least a 302 I'll be cool with it
well i mean what r u looking for 500 rwhp in a race prep fox will run 10's and stock block and internals will be fine, ok a 351 stroked to a 393 afr heads 205 custome cam with 10:5:1 comp, with a single plane intake made 600 hp and 650 ftbls of tourqe with that motor ur looking at around 6 grand, why is it that u want to go n/a? A stock 5.0 with a T3/t4 turbo can make 500 with just the kit that would be somthing u don't see everyday, make lots of power and only cost u about 3 grand

Indeed I have seen used kits go for $1000-$1500. Not too bad, especially if you know your stuff. I know its not cheap, but I was attempting to compare it to the price of turbochargers and whatnot that would be needed to make an average 4cyl car compete with a blown Mustang.

Well, I have this problem called boost addiction. So I really do plan on going blown or turbo. Really not sure which, both have pros and cons. How leniant is the ECU on the Foxbody, or would it be worth my time to just upgrade to a DFI system? That's another 2k installed, on top of all of that if it was needed. If I didn't need it I could probably just use a controller to adjust the boost so it doesnt kick in under 3500 or so unless I get slicks. But really, how leniant is that ECU? So what are you suggesting, just get a stang with a 302, strip the motor out and drop some 8.5:1 in there? Balance it and then put her back together for a bit? Throw some heads/cams on before the boost for sure. so it's not a pain to do it later. Man, performance will suck with that low of a CR till I get it boosted which could take a while.

I think really the sc setup would be an easier install and probably slightly cheaper to do than a turbo setup. A lot of upgrades will be needed before that.

xxtavixx said:

well if you get an 87-92 which came with forged pistons and rods, you can just throw a 125 shot on it an be done... can you say 300 horse an 450 ft. torque??? most of em' are blown cause thats the best bang for the buck... an sc trim is fairly cheap with room to upgrade... you can always do a H/C/I swap an have a 12 second car...

Well from experience don't get a camaro. Very poorly designed. I had an 87 IROC-Z. Car was good for a while. Well they just arent built to last. Very bad T-top design. Bad fame need subs first thing. Doors are crap and sag worse than any mustang will. Power options are nice but will cost you an arm and leg to keep them working. I know i had every power opt. Lights are bad. Bolt-on's are expensive just look at intakes that will tell you or gears. I could go on and on. As far as the 240 easy to start out but a pain when it comes to everything else they are dyno babies and use a dyno more often that a baby uses rubber nipples for bottles. You got to tune all the time if you got a turbo on one of them. From my experience get a mustang. Its well worth it. I have done some type of work on all three cars your talkin about and well lets say I had some money to blow and I bought a Cobra instead of getting a 240 or camaro and modding the crap out of it. I'll enjoy takin my time with my car. Its a ball!!!

xxtavixx said:
Well, I have this problem called boost addiction. So I really do plan on going blown or turbo. Really not sure which, both have pros and cons. How leniant is the ECU on the Foxbody, or would it be worth my time to just upgrade to a DFI system? That's another 2k installed, on top of all of that if it was needed. If I didn't need it I could probably just use a controller to adjust the boost so it doesnt kick in under 3500 or so unless I get slicks. But really, how leniant is that ECU? So what are you suggesting, just get a stang with a 302, strip the motor out and drop some 8.5:1 in there? Balance it and then put her back together for a bit? Throw some heads/cams on before the boost for sure. so it's not a pain to do it later. Man, performance will suck with that low of a CR till I get it boosted which could take a while.

I think really the sc setup would be an easier install and probably slightly cheaper to do than a turbo setup. A lot of upgrades will be needed before that.

from what i know, you wont need to touch that computer unless u get a speed density one. And I would go for the h/c/i before the SC.