Which clutch for a supercharged 06?

The_Joker

Mar 4, 2007
I need a new clutch. What is the best brand to get? Is it worth it to go ahead and get a new flywheel as well? My car is supercharged and has about 450rwhp right now. My dad wants to just put a stock one back on, which i got quoted $800 for. Should I put an aftermarket one on and will the price be a huge difference if i do?

• Sponsors (?)

OK, I've decided to go with the Fidanza aluminum flywheel but I'm still undecided on the clutch. I have heard good things about Centerforce but am confused about which one to get between the DF or the DFX. The DFX is SFI approved, what does that mean? I also take the car to the track sometimes and drive it very aggressive on the street, however it is my daily driver. Any input will help at this point as I am kinda in a hurry to decide.

Your pops is probably thinking that stock is best for the feel. I'll tell you outright, things ain't like they used to be. Numerous high performance clutches are available that give that similar stock pedal feel. Make sure he knows that.

For just under your quote you can get a new clutch and flywheel with a replaceable friction center. around 650.00 - 700.00 then add in labor.

Are you running a centrifigul or a twinscrew? The initial hit under boost and torque between the two can help make a decision if cost is an issue.

Thanx for the quick reply, I need to decide by tomarrow! And I have a twin screw Whipple at 10lbs of boost currently. I just went to the Centerforce website and they sell clutch kits for the 05-07s called the LMC series. It is the only one they advertise for this car on the front page. So thats 3 different types from Centerforce... DF, DFX, and LMC. Whats the difference?

Another thing to consider is that an aluminum flywheel is great for freeing up rotational weight in the driveline, but sometimes at a cost of giving off a little chatter when doing normal relaxed street driving. Not sure that's a topic of concern for you.

As for the listing of centerforce clutches, DF, DFX and now LMC would be similar to specs listings for Spec 2, Spec 2+, and Spec3.

I have not personally seen the LMC series, but the story behind it from centerforces news releases, is that it will be a stock pedal feel and very lightweight when used with their aluminum fly wheel.

I prefer the spec line, like any product you'll find people that like and dislike all of them.

I have the Spec 2+ clutch and Spec aluminum flywheel with my setup. I have 540HP at the flywheel (flywheel HP matters for this conversation) and the Spec 2+ is rated to hold 600HP. It drives and feels pretty much just like stock, but with the added bonus of being able to hold tight when the ponies kick in.

Most people here that get the Centerforce always seem to go with the DF, not the DFX or LMC. But there are a lot of people that get the Spec seem to be getting the stage 3? What is it about the DFX or LMC from Centerforce that scares people away? Are they only for race applications? I want the best I can get and money isn't a huge issue. If it makes a difference, I put slicks on my car when I go to the track.

I'm at just under 500 rwhp. I had a centerforce DF and just changed over to the DFX. The DF was slipping after 5k miles during speed shifts. I really dig this DFX clutch. It feels great...way better than the Spec clutch (stage 3). it has no chatter, very little on/off feel and it just has a positive engagement...nice. I suggest upgrading to the McLeod adjustable slave too. It will hold up to the added pressure plate weight.

It seems that a lot of people that have used the centerforce df had problems with it. I think im going to get the spec. But i dont want a super stiff pedal, doesnt spec offer something for their clutches that is supposed to relieve the pressure a little bit?

Centerforce Df is a great clutch. You just can't use it in applications much more than 400 rwhp. The DFX is a great feeling clutch for above 400 rwhp. I just installed one and it feels much smoother than Spec. No chatter, minimal on/off feel. Just plain solid and holds like it should. I am surprised with the way this thing feels especially compared to Spec stage 3.