which gas

• Sponsors (?)

2.3l driver said:
which kind of gas do you guys put in your 5.0's I usually put 87 in mine beause it says to use unleaded on the dash board.

wellall gas now days is unleaded wether it be 87 or 93 so i don't know what you mean by that, but I use 93 octane always

with stock timing, 87 is what you should be running, anything higher will hinder the performance of your car. If the timing is bumped, you're gonna want higher octane. I've always ran 93 on my car. Anything lower is asking for trouble.

2.3l driver said:
my 5.0 only has flow master pipes underdrive pulleys and a k&n airfilter and is manual.

None of that makes a difference. If your car still has stock timing, and nothing like a supercharger or nitrous, you should be able to use 87.

Now, if you car has a lot of deposits in the combustion chamber, you may need to step up the octane to prevent knocking or pinging. This would fix the symptom, but it would not be the cure.

Essentially, use the lowest octane rating that does not result in pinging (the sound of a can full of marbles being shaken) at WOT. Using a higher octane gives no benefit at all (unless you enjoy paying more for gas), and even decreases performance.

TRWXXA said:
None of that makes a difference. If your car still has stock timing, and nothing like a supercharger or nitrous, you should be able to use 87.

Now, if you car has a lot of deposits in the combustion chamber, you may need to step up the octane to prevent knocking or pinging. This would fix the symptom, but it would not be the cure.

Essentially, use the lowest octane rating that does not result in pinging (the sound of a can full of marbles being shaken) at WOT. Using a higher octane gives no benefit at all (unless you enjoy paying more for gas), and even decreases performance.
:stupid:

Good Write up! :nice:

actually higher octane is always better, as it burns cleaner and more effieciently. more complete burning of the fuel means less carbon build up. it also burns cooler than lower octane fuel hense the reason race fuel is called cold fuel. and the cooler the combustion chamber the happier i am. but no, at the price right now who cares.

wildstang87 said:
actually higher octane is always better, as it burns cleaner and more effieciently. more complete burning of the fuel means less carbon build up. it also burns cooler than lower octane fuel hense the reason race fuel is called cold fuel. and the cooler the combustion chamber the happier i am. but no, at the price right now who cares.
Might want to recheck that line of thinking. :)

HISSIN50 said:
Might want to recheck that line of thinking. :)

I agree. I don't think your logic is correct, Wildstang87.

Octane rating has nothing to do with the energy potential or burning efficiency of a fuel. It is a measure of it's resistence to knocking. High compression engines require the higher octane so the fuel/air mixture does not ignite too early under the higher pressure and heat in the combustion chamber.

Engines that use high octane fuel develope a lot of power because they use the energy potential of the fuel more efficiently. To do this, they require a fuel that will actually be more resistent to burning until the time is just right.

Remember, you can buy a bottle of octane booster. If you add it to your fuel tank, you still have the same exact gas you had before, you've just chemically make it more resistent to preignition.

You'll have to find a chemical engineer to tell you how it does this.

TRWXXA said:
I agree. I don't think your logic is correct, Wildstang87.

Octane rating has nothing to do with the energy potential or burning efficiency of a fuel. It is a measure of it's resistence to knocking. High compression engines require the higher octane so the fuel/air mixture does not ignite too early under the higher pressure and heat in the combustion chamber.

Engines that use high octane fuel develope a lot of power because they use the energy potential of the fuel more efficiently. To do this, they require a fuel that will actually be more resistent to burning until the time is just right.

Remember, you can buy a bottle of octane booster. If you add it to your fuel tank, you still have the same exact gas you had before, you've just chemically make it more resistent to preignition.

You'll have to find a chemical engineer to tell you how it does this.
you're mostly correct. a higher octane can be compressed more. it won't be more resistant to buring, it will be more resistant to detonation. (being ignited)

just some general knowledge... octane isn't just a rating, it's the actual gasoline. octane is a hydrocarbon chain. 8 carbon sourounded by hydrogen. Methane has just a single carbon atom. Propane has three carbon atoms chained together. Butane has four carbon atoms chained together. Pentane has five, hexane has six, heptane has seven and octane has eight carbons chained together. out of all those molecules, Octane handles compression the best. Eighty-seven-octane gasoline is essentially gasoline that contains 87-percent octane and 13 something else. (MTBE or ethanol) or has the properties of 87/13.

so now you actually know what you are putting into your car. and as said numerous times before, running a higher octane than needed is hurting performance.