Which Header?

JTGrant

Aug 2, 2005
GA
I want to get longtubes, but I can't make up my mind which ones I want. I don't like shorties because they aren't as efficient as the longtubes. Any suggestions? Also what about the section between the h pipe and the mufflers? Also differences in stainless and titanium

• Sponsors (?)

You won't regret buying any longtube header that is currently available. I bought JBA's, but I can't knock any of the others. They all seem to be putting out similar performance.

The Hookers & SLP are a good bang for the buck. However my first priority was to have a stainless header. You can get the Hookers & SLP's with a ceramic coating, but I've even seen ceramic coating get chipped and/or burned away after a few years. I keep my cars a long time so longevity was my priority.

The reason I bought JBA's over Kook's or Stainless Works was price. I almost bought Kook's but I just didn't want to deal with their individual primaries slip fitting into the collector. This makes for easy install, but I was it wasseeing it as being more areas for possible future exhaust leaks.

I was going to get the bare stainless headers, but the only reason I got the Titanium finish was because I found a good deal on EBay after originally finding the guy here on StangNet. He bought the headers/H-pipe before he got his car, but ended up buying an F150 instead :)
I ended up getting the Titanium headers & h pipe for just a few bucks more than the bare JBA longtubes only.

The titanium coating PROBABLY keeps underhood temps down a couple degrees but probably not enough to worry about. The bare stainless headers should be fine.

Kook's & Stainless Works are indeed awesome headers. It's just a matter of how much do you want to spend, and I didn't see enough performance gap (none actually) to validate the extra $$$.

I can tell you the JBA's fit like a glove, sound awesome, and there's all kind of room under the hood if you remove the starter & motor mount brackets.

what about the section between the H pipe and the mufflers? The only time I have seen this section is when the mufflers come with the kit. Is there anyway to get the section that I am talking about, because I already have the mufflers that I want

The H-pipe connects to the OEM tailpipes at the OEM location using the stock style exhaust clamp. You use the factory tailpipes and the mufflers of your choice. In my case, I still have factory tailpipes and mufflers. The stock exhaust pipes are already 2.5" stainless steel. No need to replace them.

JTGrant said:
on these cars which is better an H pipe or x pipe
it depends on what you want. the h is said to give better low end torque. the x gives better high rpm hp. it also changes the exhaust note considerably. make sure to research your exhaust combo first, then decide on an x or h. i have flows, so i went with an o/r h. the o/r x makes the flows raspy and IMO sounds bad. the o/r h sounds much better.

is the power difference between the two that much? I have heard that the H pipe sounds better.

This will most likely be my combo:

Stainless Steel JBA LT Headers
JBA H off Road H pipe
Flowmaster Mufflers

What about the o2 extensions?

JTGrant said:
is the power difference between the two that much? I have heard that the H pipe sounds better.

JBA H off Road H pipe
Flowmaster Mufflers

i dont have personal experience with the LTs yet. i am waiting a while for the prices to come back to reality. i believe that some have needed O2 extensions, but dont quote me on that. it would probably be best to:

A: do a quick search for O2 extensions
B: ask the place you are buying the parts from

these would be the best way to find out quickly, but someone might have this combo and be able to help you out with personal experiences.

Yes you need O2 extensions. If you want to hook up the rear O2's, you can get O2 extensions for those as well, but they need to be pretty long. The JBA rear O2 bungs are pretty far back. The rear O2's are no longer needed if you remove the cats anyway, so I just turned mine off and left them unplugged.

As far as wideband goes, I would assume you can just use one of the now-useless rear O2 bungs to put a wideband in right there. I'm not a wideband guru, but seems to me it should work fine there.

I got my O2 extensions from mustangtuning.com for $35 shipped. I think Jeg's has a comparable price also. I'll have to check my receipt to see which part # I got. I had to modify the ones that I was told to get. The little indexing nipples are in different locations on the 86-04 & the 05+ O2 harnesses. All I had to do was grind the nipples off and they plugged right in. Evidently, the extension I was told to buy was for an 86-04.

As far as the H/X dilema, just listen to some cars that have different combos & make up your own mind. What one person thinks sounds good may sound like smelly brown to someone else :)

JTGrant said:

JBA H off Road H pipe
Flowmaster Mufflers

The h-pipe sounds way better imo, much more low end growl but it still cracks when you rev it with longtubes. The x-pipe flows a bit better and will show a few more hp on a dyno test due to the slightly better flow. Where the h section is, it causes a pulse which results in a deeper tone.