which heads do i get?

JimmyRGT

Founding Member
Sep 4, 2001
Atlanta, GA (GA Tech)
Alright its time to buy the heads and i dont know which ones to get. The 3 that I am considering are the Trick Flow twisted wedge, Edelbrock performer, and AFR 165's. I know that the AFR's are good but cost is a big factor for me. Are they worth the extra money? Or do either of these other heads work/flow just as well? I am puting the Trick Flow Street Heat Intake, and 70mm TB on there. Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

I would go with the AFR's because they already come fully CNC'd. They are worth the extra money IMO. If you were to take either the Edelbrock or the TFS and get them CNC'd it would cost more than the AFR's and you would have to wait to get the machine work done. Not saying that Edelbrock and TFS won't make good power, (I've owned both before) I just think they are a better head. Even for the extra money.

Well i didnt know that the Edelbrock and Twisted Wedge heads didnt come CNC'd and that the Afr heads did. Is it necessary to get the Edel and TW heads done before they can be installed? I will be buying heads very soon and want to make sure I have all of the information before I put down that kind of money. Thanks for all of the help.

JimmyRGT said:
Well i didnt know that the Edelbrock and Twisted Wedge heads didnt come CNC'd and that the Afr heads did. Is it necessary to get the Edel and TW heads done before they can be installed? I will be buying heads very soon and want to make sure I have all of the information before I put down that kind of money. Thanks for all of the help.
Edelbrock heads come slightly CNC'd (the intake and exhaust are touched up a little, Does not extend into the port more than one inch) The Twist Wedge don't come CNC'd. The AFR's come Fully CNC'd (Every port is exactly the same [machined all the way through the ports] and every combustuion chamber is the same).
It is not necessary to get the Edelbeocks or the TW heads to install them but the ports will not be clean. They will have cast finish.
Keep in mind that the Twist Wedge also have the valves reloacated so if you decide to go with a cam later on you might have clearence issues.

Im a little partial also. I would suggest the Trick Flows. If you are going to go with a large flowing intake along with a 70 mm TB and a 80mm or more mass air, I would take a look at the X303. I have had one 302 with AFR heads and an X cam and had issues, I also had a Trick Flow headed car with the X and due to the valve relocation had no issues with piston to valve clearence. Trick Flows are a great flowing head with room for growth.