which heads for my set up?

95Stang50

Mar 17, 2003
Wellesley Ma
302, 8.5:1 compression, TF stage 1 cam, holley sysyemax intake, s-trim with about 12lbs of boost. have been running twisted wedge heads but i feel its time for an upgrade.

i was thinking of either edelbrock performer rpm's or afr 185's. just not sure if those will be too much for my set up or not.

also plan on upgrading to 1 3/4 headers longtubes vs. 1 5/8's that i have been running

• Sponsors (?)

Just keep the TW's there is no point in changing them.
Had you had a 331 or 347 i would of said just take them off and have them Cnc'd.

Just keep the TW's there is no point in changing them.
Had you had a 331 or 347 i would of said just take them off and have them Cnc'd.

well the reason im changing them is because they are at the machine shop now and need a rebuild. so i dont feel like spending X amount on a rebuild when i can just buy brand new ones for a little more.

well the reason im changing them is because they are at the machine shop now and need a rebuild. so i dont feel like spending X amount on a rebuild when i can just buy brand new ones for a little more.

either send them to trick flow and have them do thier CNC port on them or buy a Fast as Cast TW head.

How much are they being rebuilt for?
A new set is $1200 (afr 165's are $1400)
If you heads now need anywhere near those numbers in repair, you might as well throw them out.
If you figure a valve job to be $200, milling to be $100, then if for some reason you need valves and springs, you are still only at half of the heads value new.

Also, heads done by a good head shop are better than new, and will produce a noticeable amount more of power even with just the valve job.

How much are they being rebuilt for?
A new set is $1200 (afr 165's are $1400)
If you heads now need anywhere near those numbers in repair, you might as well throw them out.
If you figure a valve job to be $200, milling to be $100, then if for some reason you need valves and springs, you are still only at half of the heads value new.

Also, heads done by a good head shop are better than new, and will produce a noticeable amount more of power even with just the valve job.

yeah i guess so. im going to talk to my guy at the machine shop tomorrow. he called me over the weekend and told me that usually people just buy new heads. ill have to talk to him more and see how much it will be to rebuild them.

yeah i guess so. im going to talk to my guy at the machine shop tomorrow. he called me over the weekend and told me that usually people just buy new heads. ill have to talk to him more and see how much it will be to rebuild them.

Either your heads are really messed up, or you machine shop guy is clueless, can't see too many educated guys telling you the solution for a set of TW's is to "buy new heads".