Which intake to use???

mustang88

Nov 2, 2004
well i have a explorer gt-40 type intake planning on having it ported, but then i see these typhoon intakes for 300 $ which dosnt seem bad. my question is , which one will increase power better. the explorer ported or the typhoon? and what would you guys choose. any tips or comment on any of these intakes? i really just want to know if i should go with the explorer intake or buy a typhoon depending one whats better? i know i could sell my explorer intake for a couple hundred and buy a typhoon with 1 hundred more

people seem to like the explorer intakes so im guessing its better than typhoon but dont know.

• Sponsors (?)

Stick with the GT40 intake..a recent comparison done showed the GT make as good if not better HP and torque # than some of the most popular intakes out today. The GT won or came in VERY close from the basement to redline. I LOVE my Typhoon..love it, but would have selected the GT if I had to choose another.

yeah i think ill stick with the gt-40 explorer intake it will save me money instead of buying another one. unless i find somone to trade me an intake i like better for it.

Grn92LX said:
The typhoon is far from "too much". The problem is your cam choice. If your set on those junk cam's the cobra will probably work better.

Ya, get a better cam than the B or E. The only reason you should run the E is if you have pass an emissions test, otherwise you're leaving power on the table

i personally dont like ford cams i like TFS or COMP CAMS for me comp are the best.
i have in my car a 306 with XE274HR cam typhoon intake stock heads ported (next month getting some 185's) and i love it!

its all goin in at the same time, i went to see a friends car and he has a trick flow stage 1 cam in it ,he got the whole trickflow kit i guess, he says its good so maybe ill get that cam.

InMyPrimeSVT said:
Is there any benefit to putting a new cam in before heads?

The worst parts of the 5.0 HO is the intake manifold and the heads! the sooner you can rid your engine bay of them the better. The HO cam is a pretty good piece, from what I've read Ford put it in there to help make up for the wimpy heads

If you decide to get the Typhoon, remember it's a copy of the Edelbrock Performer RPM, so you'd have to consider that in your cam selection. The GT40/Cobra/Explorer intakes are a better choice if you plan on using one of the FRPP cams (B/E). You'd definitely make more power with either intake over the stocker, but having matching parts will net you the most. The torque and HP peaks on the B/E cams are still low enough to warrant using one of the GT40 style intakes, since the RPM/Typhoon are for higher revving engines, up to 6500 RPM.

what would you guys recommend for a cam if this/ ported explorer intake and ported gt-40 p heads ? i also just did a mass air conversion if that helps you any and also have a full aftermarket exhaust . any idea how much hp i would make with the ported heads and intakes and a cam? probaly gunna do 24 lb injectors,70-75 mm tb and maf sensor ,ac delete and smog delete. would that make good hp?

I have dynos of the E cam making right at 300RWHP with good street heads (AFR/TW) and a Cobra style intake and with the right supporting pieces. It's dated, but it can still be effective.