which is better?

crazystang25

Jan 25, 2009
whats a better bang for the buck, getting the b heads that come with the motor ported or finding some c heads and having them ported. im looking to sell my 74 camaro and am looking at a mark VIII complete engine w/ accessories near me for $575. Of course this will be when the maro sells. also will be doing some cams in it too!

• Sponsors (?)

whats a better bang for the buck, getting the b heads that come with the motor ported or finding some c heads and having them ported. im looking to sell my 74 camaro and am looking at a mark VIII complete engine w/ accessories near me for $575. Of course this will be when the maro sells. also will be doing some cams in it too!

Nothing wrong keeping and porting the B heads, but there are no B head intakes out for them other than stock. If you want to keep you stock intake won't be a problem for you, and you can always get someone to make you a sheet metal
intake if need be.

The 96-98 cobras came with b heads though right.

Yeah they came with B heads, I've never seen or heard of a bolt on aftermarket intake for the B heads. I wouldn't worry about if your going to leave the motor N/A (you could swap to a 96-98 Cobra intake for a little better flow if you can get one fairly cheap) but if your going to swap to forced induction you may want to swap to a better intake. In the case you spent the money on porting the B heads are planning a F/I build and max flow numbers are really key to the build get somebody like Wilson Manifolds to fab you up a sheet metal but it will cost you some serious coin. You could swap to a 96-98 Cobra intake for a little better flow if you can get one fairly cheap.

Ya I found some stuff on the MMR intake but im not so sure about the $1200 price tag, me id rather get a 96-98 and have it port matched to the heads. it just depends on how much it will cost to have it port matched as compared to getting the sheetmetal intake. Anyone know of any good porting shops around the atlanta area, or within driving distance.

There's another intake for the B heads, too. I remember it in a parts magazine I have. That magazine is at my apartment though, and I can't remember which one it is. I'll be back at my apartment later today and I'll look it up then.

just get some 99-01 C heads off a continental and port em, they make torque better in the lower end..

b heads really need spray or boost, or a really decent cam to perform I think..

my next build will be a 4v and it will consist of: 99-01 heads ported, mach intake (psr) or sullivan, huge nasty cams, lots of compression, and a 200 shot.. on top of my already teksid gt..

ya i can get some c heads from work, since i work at advance auto i get 20% off anything we sell even if we have to order them. so i can get them remanned for like just under 1k. but im lookin for a new job to replace the one i have now since they dont pay s*^t.