which K member...little help

bagel77

Oct 4, 2003
I have been shopping around for a new K member. I am doing a big block fox. Mild ride...mainly cruising around. 429/5sp/3.50 31 spline 9"rear. Because of budget Maxiam motorsports is out. I have been looking at QA1 or UPR. I am keeping stock LCA for now and figure I will do the LCA and coil converision later. Budget thing again. Anyway I am curious about these two K members. What do you guys thing/reccomend? thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I have personally installed three QA1 k members and they are great. I like how you can run stock style springs with it. I personally don't like coil overs. My buddy has a UPR in his 96 and seems to be happy with it. I feel that the cost of the QA1 is enough to make the decision for me.

The reason I don't like coil overs is because it takes the vehicle wieght from the bottom of the frame rail to the shock tower. I feel like over time the shock towers could fatigue.

qa1 is whats in my car. run stock lca and coil springs. coilovers also limits tire width. however, the lower main support tube i did reinforce by cutting/fitting/welding a smaller diameter/thicker walled tube to the bottom of it. probably very unnecessary. but just in the case of wheelies (or michigans horrible potholes and speedbumps that form sporatically through out the road system):rlaugh: i figured a little extra strength wouldnt hurt

I just installed the upr kmember i bought it off a buddy cheap so i couldnt resist..it fit good im running the coil overs also...in a way i wish i went with the coil springs instead...the ride doesnt bother me..i drive it just on weekends i dont go far with it so it worked out for me.....u can buy the spring perches for the frame rail to use the stock springs which i would assume could work with all tubular k members? could be wrong

i have the qa1 k-member front end kit on my 99 and have really liked it so far. One thing, tHe Qa1 is meant for drag racing and it significantly increased my turning radius, i had to put in steering rack spacers to keep the wheels from rubbing on the control arms at full over steer either way. I talked to the guys at qa1 and they told me this was because their k-member is meant for skinnies up front for drag racing.

Even if yo had the money for maximum motorsports stuff it would be a total waste, with a big block he car is gonna handle like crap no matter what.

Save some money and wait and just buy a full UPR kit, you will be happier with coilovers and it will save you money in the long run

Even if yo had the money for maximum motorsports stuff it would be a total waste, with a big block he car is gonna handle like crap no matter what.

Save some money and wait and just buy a full UPR kit, you will be happier with coilovers and it will save you money in the long run

Well I don't know about handling like crap. I have driven my neighbors 460 86' stang a few times

any wheel wider than 8 inches will rub the control arms. My wheels rubbed the control arms with the stock k member. It does widen the track width in the front and slightly moved my wheels forward. I talked to UPR and they said you cannot run the spring perches for use of stock style springs.

But if your right about not being able to use stock springs with the UPR setup my decision is easy. I can't afford to swap to coil overs and new LCA.
keep the info coming guys.