which motorsports cam

93-2.3

May 22, 2003
PA
Ok help me out here is my build so far its an 83 gt with 89 Lincoln lsc 5.0 roller completely stock internals other than high volume oil pump and double roller timing chain. Bolt ons are edroneock dual plane intake bbk equal length headers 2.5 inch h pipe and flowmaster super 44 mufflers dumped underdrive pulleys 8.8 with 4.10 gears world clas T-5 centerforce stage 2 clutch smog and power steering delete and 100 shot of nitrous. What motorsport cam can I cram in a stock internal motor without internal modifications. I'm looking for the biggest cam I can fit from ford motorsports

• Sponsors (?)

Ok help me out here is my build so far its an 83 gt with 89 Lincoln lsc 5.0 roller completely stock internals other than high volume oil pump and double roller timing chain. Bolt ons are edroneock dual plane intake bbk equal length headers 2.5 inch h pipe and flowmaster super 44 mufflers dumped underdrive pulleys 8.8 with 4.10 gears world clas T-5 centerforce stage 2 clutch smog and power steering delete and 100 shot of nitrous. What motorsport cam can I cram in a stock internal motor without internal modifications. I'm looking for the biggest cam I can fit from ford motorsports

:search:

Ford B cam. It owns all. I would drag my balls over miles and miles of shards of glass just to smell the fart of someone who sat in a car with a B cam.

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY B CAM!

(not serious)

1239960666_bike-tournament.gif

IMO anyone looking to "cram the biggest cam I can fit" in their engine should be allowed to run a letter cam, no questions asked. I mean really, you're wasting your breath explaining the benefits of a custom cam. I think this question falls into the "How much nawwz do I need to pump into my stock motor to outrun my buddy's ______?" category.

:nonono:

The long and short of it....is that for what you seem to need it for, there are better things you could be spending your money on right now than a camshaft. At this point, a little "lump" in the idle is all you’re going to gain. For what you'd spend on a new alphabet cam, you could just about cover the cost of a decent set of used GT40/GT40P heads from a '96-'01 Ford Explorer and pick up an h0nest to goodness 40hp+ with your current combination. At that point a cam may be in order, but in any case I'd choose something other than an off the shelf Motorsport Cam. Look into CompCams, Trick Flow, or even a custom grind from one of the more reputable cam manufacturers.

IMO anyone looking to "cram the biggest cam I can fit" in their engine should be allowed to run a letter cam, no questions asked. I mean really, you're wasting your breath explaining the benefits of a custom cam. I think this question falls into the "How much nawwz do I need to pump into my stock motor to outrun my buddy's ______?" category.

Now Im curious....How much?

thats one of those questions... if you have to ask... you shouldnt run nitrous...

BTW i run a B cam in my car it ran "alright"

thats the pill it till ya kill it theory of tuning...

rule of thumb... never try to double your HP with nitrous.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry about the misspell on edelbrock I'm on a black berry and suck at typing as for the 100 shot if and when it pops my motor oh well my loss your gain in amusement. I want to cam it for the lumpy idle if I can even achieve one and for a little more power. None of my buddies have anything that can touch what I got anyway and the ones who do I can't possibly afford to even attempt to beat them. A yard set of gt40 p heads would be a decent swap I didn't think of them to be honest. I have heard that stock headers from a mustang won't work on those heads, will I be ok with my headers? Back to the subject otherwise though leaving motorsports letter cams out of it what type of cam would you recommend for my bone stock other than bolt ons motor lol. Honestly I have owned a bad ass car its long gone and so is the budget I had back then I do miss it though but I bought it not built it so its not realy the same.

The standard GT40's from a '96/early-'97 Explorer will work with the factory headers. Companies to try for cam selections are outlined in my above post. Another to check out would be some of the Anderson Ford Motorsport grinds. They outline directly in their description which cams, work best with which mods.

BTW i run a B cam in my car it ran "alright"

I have had B cams in both of my cars when a mild 5.0 setup was in there. I see no problem with them. Especially the current one. I left the motor alone since I was building the 408, but stuck in a B cam just to give the idle some character. I don't think it made a bit of difference performance wise.

I want to cam it for the lumpy idle if I can even achieve one and for a little more power.

If you just want a lumpy idle, then put in a B or E cam. You can pick up a used one for $75 - $100. Since theses are roller motors, there is no problem putting in a (lightly) used cam to fit your budget.