which mufflers???

• Sponsors (?)

all depends what your looking for i have th 50 series delta flow ss. I wanted a good sound without being to loud. With a midpipe they sound sweet but still not real loud just a nice sweet sound. Low sound levels while cruiseing but com alive under any kind of acceloration. If you want to be noticed all the time get the 40s.

Uhhh, scrap the 40's and stick with the 50's. Yeah the 40's sound great at WOT and when you're trying to impress your buddies, but the droning at highway speeds from them will drive you nuts. That goes for the Mac Flowpaths too (I've got 'em along with a Bassani custom X-pipe and although they’re quieter, it’s still annoying)! You'll still get a clean throaty exhaust not from the 50's, but at the end of the day, you'll still have your sanity…not to mention you’ll still be able to hear your radio! And if it’s power you’re worried about, don’t be. The 50-series mufflers will make every bit as much horsepower and in some cases slightly more low-end torque than the 40-series units on your average bolt on Stang.

Ryan02Stang said:
I don't think the drone is as bad as people here are making it out to be. I have an offroad X pipe with 40 series flows and its not that bad. Does it drone...yes...but it is by no means annoying. With the radio on and windows open on the highway i barely even notice it.
....what rear end gears are you running in your ride?

Interesting....I actually have found that the droning is usually lessened by cars running 3.73's and above. It seems to put them past that magical 1800-2000rpm point at highway speeds where the noise is really bad. But you have to admit they do drone a fair amount, in comparison to stock, or the 50-series mufflers. If it takes the sound of a blaring radio and your windows down with the wind rushing past you at 65mph for it to be "hardly noticeable", then it's say it's still very noticeable. I admit, the swap from the stock H-pipe to my O/R Bassani helped a little, but it's still there and annoying on those days you're tired and coming home from work or you just want a nice mellow cruise.

But, most people still go for the 40's anyway, because a they think louder is just plain better. Hell, that's what I thought when I bought my Mac system. But I guess I'm just getting old and sick of everyone thinking I'm trying to race them when I’m beside them. They're mistaking the sound of my normally loud exhaust for me actually attempting to "get on it", all of the time. I personally prefer it quiet but “throaty” sound of the 50’s at cruise and to sound like I’m “getting on it”, when I actually am.

Yes...there is an obvious drone at 1800-2100. And if the radio is off and the windows are up it is rather loud. But i think its def not unbearable. You make a good point about being loud and everyone thinking you are racing. There has been several times on the highway I have downshifted into 4th and just normally passed someone and been flipped off because they think I am flooring it by them. I think it all comes down to personal preference. If you want loud and attention go with 40s. If you want deep and mean sounding, but quiet under regular throttle then 50s are the way to go! At least hes on the right track asking about Flowmasters and not Magnaflow! :D

twogts4us said:
My guess is that 90% of Mustangs with Flows have 40's.
Yup, you'd probably be right there. True, most Mustangs are running exhaust systems with 40-series flowmasters, but It's not because they're any better sounding, or superior to any other system. It's mainly because it was one of the only reasonably priced systems out there when they first came out and they were a better alternative to glasspacks. Everybodys got their favorite opinon when it comes to these things, but I bet if you asked that 90% of previous 2-chamber (40-series) buyers if they would they choose the same system, I bet that number would drop to less than half!

kboy262 said:
For a few bucks cheaper I would get MAC Flowpaths. I did the Flowmaster thing in the past and I find that the MACs are deeper and provide a little more rumble.

agreed :D & the drone isn't bad AT ALL with them. i looove the sound of flowpaths. but you can't go wrong with flowmaster, they are the definitive mustang exhaust. but if you are wanting something just a hair different, that makes good power & has a different tone than the flowmasters, try the flowpaths. i'm certain you wont regret it :D :nice: