which one is the temp. sensor?

custom89stang

Dec 9, 2003
Seattle, WA
okay i just bought a new temp. sensor to try and fix my fuel problems but there are two sensors that look exactly like the one i bought. MY question is, is whether the temp. sensor is the sensor that is under the upper intake between the fuel injectors (i have atyphoon manifold) or the one that is not under the upper intake but looks like it plugs right into the lower intake where the radiator hose goes....thanks for your help (what does the other sensor do?)

• Sponsors (?)

There is an ACT (Air) temp sensor ($10.00) which looks almost like the ECT (Coolant) temp sensor ($10.00) - the ECT screws in to the passenger side and reads the coolant temp and the ACT screws in to the driver side near the backside of the stock upper intake plenum - they are both basic maintenance items that need service once in a while - very easy to replace - just take the appropriate sized (1" I think) deep well socket and remove and replace them.

The ECT is used only for the computer.

The Temp Gauge uses an entirely different sender located at the front driver's side of the intake manifold. It screws in flat ahead of the ACT sensor and has a single wire plugged into the top.

Synned said:
So the IAT is not the same as the ACT sensor? Is the IAT sensor in the intake ducting and the ACT is on the intake plenum?
Same sensor, different name. Depending on the model & manifold, it may be in different places. Stock 5.0 location prior to 94 was in #5 intake runner. Hissin50 can tell you about the location on 94-95 models.

Synned said:
The IAT/ACT I am looking at is right after the MAF, and looks like a circle sensor that air passes through. This is it correct?
You got it. It is just toward the TB from the MAF (they share the same wiring harness if you trace it back a ways). It is a little bulb sensor with a wire across two prongs.
When you reinstall it, be sure to index it (it can actually make a difference on the finicky SN's). I put a mark on the sensor's body so that once screwed it, I know the 'goalpost uprights' are vertical (you dont want the 'uprights' to shround the element).

Sorry for the strange analogy - it was all I could think of.

Good luck.