Which roller rockers from where?

beanplant

Founding Member
Jun 25, 2002
KC MO
Okay, my setup will be this. It's settled, already ordered the parts....

-302 Block bored .030 over
-Forged pistons
-E7 heads with crane valve spring kit
-Comp Cams 31-242-3 with:
Specifications:
* Advertised duration: 268 intake/280 exhaust
* Duration at .050 cam lift: 224 intake/230 exhaust
* Gross valve lift: .509 in. intake/.512 in. exhaust
* Lobe separation: 110 degrees
* RPM range: 1,600 to 5,800
-Edelbrock RPM intake
-Holley 650 CFM carb
-B&M TorkMaster 2400 stall
-AOD Tranny
-4.11 posi rearend

I think that is it. FRIST, I need some 1.6 roller rockers. Where can I get them for a good deal?

SECOND, how's this setup sound? Is it gonna produce much power? Any power estimates?

Thank y'all so much
-Shaun

• Sponsors (?)

With those heads, unless you've had screw in studs and guide plates installed, you're gonna be limited to pedestal type roller rockers. The Crane Energizers are a good choice there. I've been running a set of used "Cobra" roller rockers ( 1.7 ratio and the equivalent of the Energizers) that were made for Ford by Crane, for about 2 years now. I bought these used from someone in Michigan and have no idea how long or how many miles he used them. They've held up fine, no problems.Also suggest that you port out the exhaust passages on those E7's before doing a valve job on them., They'll work much better with that cam after doing so.All that's needed is to hog out the sides and roof about 1/8" to 1/4" and blend them down into the bowls. You can leave the stock valves if you choose. This is what I did to the ones on my 89 Ranger's 5.0, and they work great.

Ford Racing.

I've had good luck with several sets of the Ford Racing "blue" roller rockers. As was poited out you will need the "Bolt Down" type unless the heads are converted. There is a high likely hood that the Ford Racing rockers are made by Crane. I'd shop mostly on price on this one as long as you are dealing with a known brand (Ford Racing, Crane, Comp, Erson) with equal features.

I've always had great luck with Summit Racing.

beanplant said:
cool, thanks guys! So I'm going to need pedestal mount roller rockers?

-Shaun
Yes, unless like I said before, you or someone else has converted the heads to screw in studs and guide plates. If you go with 1.7 ratios, you'll pickup a few thousands lift at the valve over 1.6's.