Which rotors for GT stock replacement?

Green&GoldGT

Aug 1, 2005
Virginia
When I had my front pads changed, the shop said I had the minimum thickness for the rotors. What are some nice undrilled/unslotted rotors that are OEM quality? I do hate that my factory ones are rusty on the center piece, so any that won't rust would be awesome.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm running brakemotive slotted rotors and I have no complaints. I'm running them with HP+ front pads and they are still running strong after 20k miles of harsh braking with a hard pad in the front. They look great and stop exceptionally with MM's stainless lines too. In fact I'm probably buying another set real soon too. And they were priced cheaper than AM's Powerslot stuff. Powerstop products is what BrakeMotive sells, btw.

The rust btw is water from washing/rain on there. Only way to get it off is dry your wheels down with compressed air after washing it. The water sitting on the surface slightly rusts it.

Stock rotors are actually quite good as rotors go. They can be turned at least once if you don't wait too long to do it. Just paint the centers so they won't rust. If you don't want drilled or slotted, that's what I'd buy. It's OEM, and cheaper than OEM doesn't sound like any kind of bargain to me.

I bought some PowerStop cadmium-plated rotors for a car a number of years ago and was quite happy. Just the groove slot, no holes. Mine were gold-colored, but otherwise same as they currently offer. The plating protects them from rust, other than that I'm making no claims of why that's good. I didn't own the car long enough to need them turned, which might be a concern. But the plating didn't wear off in ~20K. I don't know how deep the plating goes, and a good rotor can be turned at least once before replacement.

I'd go with OEM, if it were my money. PowerStop if you want slotted.

If you want a stock performing rotor, go to napa. I have a set of power stop slotted and drilled rotor on mine and can't be happier.

BTW, never change just the pads. It hardly ever works out and you end up with a shake.

I had power slot rotors on my car for about 30K miles before buying the Cobra/Mach1 brake kit. I actually was very pleased with the quality. They never rusted and had a very nice silver look to them on the rotor hat. Obviously I didn't have them on the car long enough to have them turned. When I had them I ran them with Hawk HPS pads and was impressed with the relative low dust and stopping ability.

I have a squeeling when I apply the brakes. I had the fronts changed by a shop, and I changed my rears about 2 weeks ago because I thought the rears were the culprit. Is this caused by worn rotors?

It used to do it only in cold weather/ first drive. Now it does it alot. Usually hard breaking. Is there a temporary solution, I hate the squeeling.