which size phenolic spacer will help more?

What's up guys? My question starts off as what do you guys think is better? I have an '88 5.0 with just about all the bolt ons. Electric fan, aluminum flywheel and driveshaft, 3.73 gears, CAI, 75mm MAF, 75mm Throttle body and EGR spacer, 24 lbs injectors, A9L computer, GT40P heads. And now I just got a hold of a GT40 tubular upper and lower. It came with a 1 inch phenolic spacer. I also have a 3/8 inch spacer from my old intake I was running which was the explorer upper and lower. Both spacers will work as I compared the 2. Which spacer should I use with the new GT40 intake? I know because of the bigger phenolic spacer, it would make sence that I would get more torque out of my car because I'm basically increasing the length in the intake runners. So what does everyone think?

• Sponsors (?)

I would say check your hood clearance first with the 1" and go with that if it fits. Hit the track a few times, see how it runs then try the 3/8" and hit the track again. You'll know which one is better when you compare times - if the times are close then make a judgment call on the drivability of the car. I had a 1" on my cobra intake and liked it, but every combination is different.

Walz

I put the 1 inch on. Clearance is a little issue. I thought it was good at first but then when I took it around the block and hit the throttle, a little tiny dimple popped up in the hood. Its just barely smacking the EGR spacer. I just may go to the 3/8 inch spacer. But I still wonder which would make more power without going to a dyno twice to figure it out. Thanks for the input.

if the 1

on the gt 40 intake it will b easy to try. if the 1 in will work try it. go to the track and make a few passes then try the smaller one and see if one makes the car run better. just bring the tools and a extra gasket try it u should be able to do it all in about 30 min

Depends on what you want. Increasing runner lenght does increase torque, but it also lowers HP slightly. Perhaps a better way to say it is it adjusts the torque and HP curves. There is also a slight level of "tuning" with intake lenght as the "pulses" or air going in the engine try to pulse in time to correctly fill the cylinder chamber. Varying the lenght of the runners can adjust this to help or hurt. It's called "Tuned Port Injection"

Needless to say, you'll never know without a dyno. Typically i read of guys using the 1" just to clear tall valve covers and sticking with the 3/8" or 1/2" for a slight gain and keeping the intake cooler.

I run a 1/2" on mine, didn't notice anything on the butt o meter. The intake doens't even stay cooler because if you drive around long enough...EVERYTHING gets heat soaked

IMO if you don't need clearance for valve covers, don't use any spacer. They are pretty much worthless. Put them on ebay and recoop a few bucks from your gt40 intake purchase.

Generally speaking, whatever you may gain from keeping a little heat from reaching the upper intake, you'll lose from the added runner length which will cause the peak hp to drop in the rpm band.

only thing they are really good for is valve cover clearance, your not really going to see any gains. they work well on some motors with carbs, but it always depends on the combo