which smog pump is right for me?

OonDeanisS

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2002
Danbury, CT
LRS only has one listed, and it is remanufactured by A1 Cardone, no part #, but it does not include the pulley.
Summit racing has 2 listed, both by A1 cardone, with different part numbers... but i dont understand the application chart.
Summits are quite a bit cheaper, $89 or 109, while LRS is priced at $124.

I am a fan of LRS and id prefer to deal with them if the difference is 109-124, but if i can save $35 with summit and only spend 89, i'd be stupid not to.

--Can anyone help identify which is right for my 1990 5.0? thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

From Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C41KHG/?tag=stangnet-20
Cardone 32-291 Remanufactured Domestic Smog Pump
Price: $82.52 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
This product fits your 1991 Ford Mustang
Engine: 5.0L V8 Gas OHV Distributor-Breakerless Naturally Aspirated SFI Electronic FI MFI ; Trim: GT
41aNErrcGGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

From RockAuto.com:
Note: Approx $90 with S&H
A-1 CARDONE Part # 32291 View attachment 155700 Reman.
View attachment 155701 View attachment 155702
32291-01.jpg
$73.79 $8.00 $81.79
Part In Cart View attachment 155704

I don't know where you're located, but my local parts store carries that unit for $83+10 core...

edit: just re-read...special order part, but it would only take two to three days to get there, and there would be no shipping costs.

i live in CT, and i need to pass emissions before i can re-register the car. my old smog pump seized and i am currently running a shorter belt but the car runs like crap sometimes and i cant help but wonder if thats why. thanks for the info everyone. i bit the bullet and ordered it from LRS. honestly i just dont trust autozone to hand me the right part.

A bypasses smog pump wont cause car to run like crap.

You need the pump for emissions, but run your codes and look for another issue

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

im sure the zone has the right parts available, but they would probably hand me one for another kind of car. I cant believe how many times my local autozone has sold the wrong parts to either my friends or I, yet i still go back for the basics out of sheer convenience.

im sure the zone has the right parts available, but they would probably hand me one for another kind of car. I cant believe how many times my local autozone has sold the wrong parts to either my friends or I, yet i still go back for the basics out of sheer convenience.

Wow-man that sucks. I've been patronizing my local AZ for about 15 years, and they've never handed me a wrong part.