Which Springs for GT40Ps and a TFS Stage 1 Cam?

ReefBlueHatch

Jan 12, 2010
Central KY
I just picked up a set of Ps and was going to go with a Trick Flow stage 1 cam. I'm getting the heads hot tanked and I wanted to do new springs and seals. I searched all over and only found the Trick Flow springs, but a little pricey. Is there any other options?

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah I got the crane set in my heads, really woke the car up. I'll try and find the part number.

Crane Cams PN:99841-16 Running for $84 a pop. These are for E7's, I'd assume they'd fit though. Just get a valvespring retainer kit, and your good to go :)

Yeah I got the crane set in my heads, really woke the car up. I'll try and find the part number.

Crane Cams PN:99841-16 Running for $84 a pop. These are for E7's, I'd assume they'd fit though. Just get a valvespring retainer kit, and your good to go :)

Thanks! Summit has these, but they're out of stock right now.

I did some reading about the TFS kit and saw some horror stories.

I dropped my heads off at the machine shop today. I'll be getting them hot tanked and new springs, seals, and retainers installed. For a .49 lift cam, it was recommended that 130-140 lbs. springs should be used. I still haven't picked out any springs yet, seems to be a lot of them out there.

one thing in consideration is you will need retainers and keepers also, unless the machine shop is going to machine the head for proper clearance of the springs which costs money. the trick flow springs come with springs, retainers, keepers, and shims. everything is there and is right. im not steering you away from the machine shop because usually they know what there doing, just referring to your comment about them being pricey.

I came across a large thread over on Corral about the TFS kit. A few guys had trouble with valve float because the springs are too light, leaking seals, and the retainers are stamped - which I don't know if that's a big deal or not.

i can vouch for the valve float but that was upwards rpm like around 6k, besides on my old set up that i had the car started to feel slower at around 6k, felt like it was running out of air, so i set my light at 5500 and shifted there every time. didnt have problems with anything else. but do the hard research and if its better to go stiffer than do it. my car wasnt a high revving race car, just a mean street car. i have a set of gt40p heads for my new car and im either going with a tfs1 or a comp cam xe and probably go with the tfs springs, but before i put the heads on there going to the shop for a rebuild. but the machinist may want different springs.