Which Supercharger to Get??

I was torn between a KB and Procharger and opted for the polished procharger P1SC-2 with optional 3 core sheetmetal cooler. my car made 413rwhp 409tq with nothing more than a TB and upper plenum and the blower. the only difference between the two is off idle power since the KB gets into full boost earlier. my blower with the 3.40 pulley is making 11lbs of boost at 5400 and will make around 13lbs at my 5800 shift point.

the KB numbers would have been about the same so with the extra grand I saved buying the Procharger, I bought a fuel pump, 42lb injectors and a power pipe. FYI the blower with the upgrades cost me $3816.

an air to air intercooler is the only way to go for the street and that was why I did not buy a Vortech.

• Sponsors (?)

madmatt said:
Id say for you, you would like the KB blower more. Its basically instant boost and more torque down low than you can shake a stick at. Oh and go to T&J for your tune and everything. Their kit has quite a large following here, just look around. Good luck with your car.

I agree...KB@T&J. I have a Vortech, but I don't have the same goals as you.

I had a vortech. Switching to the KB as we speak. Something to remember with the KB is you get a intercooled version and you get a new intake too.
Bullit intake and air to air intercooler is going to run you about 2000. So you end up paying the same if you go centrif and decide to intercool and get a bullit intake with it.

hotmustang331 said:
Well if I knew anyone around the bastrop area that had one, I would go for a ride :D But really no piece of metal/aluminum or whatever it is made of is worth that kind of money.Its kinda like the cobras, they are alot faster than my GT, but are they worth like 35K?No way, thats why I didnt buy one....but if I find one thats around 25K then I may just sell the GT LOL.Anyways I really dont want my engine in full boost that early, seems ALOT more likly to have detonation.But its not just the direct cost, its the indirect cost....installation, and if you do it yourself its going to be a pain.

Ok this is way :OT: but I was wondering, how much power would some FR500 heads and their intake combo net on my GT?I would love to have them, but the heads are like $2500 and the intake is like $1600...also how much do these heads flow at .600 inches of lift on the intake side....I doubt they will add as much as a SC, eventhough it would cost just about the same amount of $$$$.

First. your opinion is well respected, but hey, if you do not see a value in the Cobra vs. a GT, then your mind will never be swayed.

I have owned GT's with both Vortech and Prochargers, and the next buildup will be with a KB. Stock for Stock, more HP and TQ.

Second, no custom plumbing needed for an A-to-A IC. The Paxton will work, the Fast Track will work, and the Procharger will work.

Lastly, FR500 heads are 4V only, so unless you are going to convert your 2V to a 4V they won't work.

showstopper2 said:
I was torn between a KB and Procharger and opted for the polished procharger P1SC-2 with optional 3 core sheetmetal cooler. my car made 413rwhp 409tq with nothing more than a TB and upper plenum and the blower. the only difference between the two is off idle power since the KB gets into full boost earlier. my blower with the 3.40 pulley is making 11lbs of boost at 5400 and will make around 13lbs at my 5800 shift point.

the KB numbers would have been about the same so with the extra grand I saved buying the Procharger, I bought a fuel pump, 42lb injectors and a power pipe. FYI the blower with the upgrades cost me $3816.

an air to air intercooler is the only way to go for the street and that was why I did not buy a Vortech.

You see ?? A Centri P1SC-2 makes 413rwhp at 13psi, while my KB makes 433rwhp at 9psi :lol:
Not only the power band is better, but peak HP too !!! And some still think centri are better and more efficient :rlaugh:

Why not go with the new Roush Supercharger?? Keep Your car comletely Roush Performance on Demand!!! I heard Real Good Things on it, but out of your choice Kenne Bell without a doubt , it makes more power from the get go, and get the air to water intercooler.

tough call ..... KB is very good

admdavs said:
I would love to go that route- but I am not ready to spend over $8K for a charger :shrug:

Yeah, the ROUSH S/C pkg is expensive and KB is developing a large following .... evident in this thread alone. Remember with a 10% discount helps bring the price down a little .... most complete kit out there.

RedGTvert -
Thanks for accurate assessments and correct information. Everyone's opinion on what's cost effective is different.

KB all the way, 400rwtq off idle is just too much fun :D

mikes_dyno_sheet.jpg

heres what a KB dyno looks like.

newboost.jpg

this is 5th gear but you get the idea behind instant full boost :flag:

RedGTvert said:
First. your opinion is well respected, but hey, if you do not see a value in the Cobra vs. a GT, then your mind will never be swayed.

I have owned GT's with both Vortech and Prochargers, and the next buildup will be with a KB. Stock for Stock, more HP and TQ.

Second, no custom plumbing needed for an A-to-A IC. The Paxton will work, the Fast Track will work, and the Procharger will work.

Lastly, FR500 heads are 4V only, so unless you are going to convert your 2V to a 4V they won't work.

Well I took a drive in a cobra and I didnt like it very much...and besides with just that procharger, I could take any stock cobra for alot less money.After I get my built engine with 8.5 compression and Fully ported 4V heads and turn up the boost and I will take almost any cobra for pretty cheap.There is no way I would pay 2500 for some heads, but I was just wondering since I plan on going with 4V heads on my built, I guess cobra block.BTW why would you buy a vortec S/C and ditch the air to water intercooler and buy an air to air intercooler?Why not just buy the procharger that already comes with one.The air to water cooler is in a different location than the Air to air I think so why wouldnt need custom piping?

00s281sc368 said:
You see ?? A Centri P1SC-2 makes 413rwhp at 13psi, while my KB makes 433rwhp at 9psi :lol:
Not only the power band is better, but peak HP too !!! And some still think centri are better and more efficient :rlaugh:

Tooblue02 got 406RWHP with a 9PSI KB, guess your tune is a little on the dangerous side or maybe you have some extra goodies under the hood. :rolleyes: The procharger has way more potential...you dont see the 6 sec modular or whatever stangs running a KB do you LOL....they run prochargers and turbo setups.I have seen both kinds run and the turbo car had to sit at the line for a while and revved it, then after a few seconds you hear the turbo spool up and then he ran and run like 6.9s or something...its been a while so it may have been a little slower.Also does the blower make that loud wine like the cobra I drove does...it got kinda anoing cuz you could hardly hear the exhaust and it was a little distracting....sounds EXACTLY like the lightnings when your hear them screaming down the track...just LOUDER.

in response to the peak HP numbers, I told my tuner to keep it safe so the peak number was not as important. he could have spun the motor to 6500 and made 430rwhp but thats not the powerband I use every day.

like I stated, the procharger has more overall potential for the strip and is more than $1K cheaper allowing me to buy much better hard parts to support it. these were the main factors in my decision. I like the torque down low on the KB for a street car only but blowing the tires off at idle is expensive with my lead foot. I would rather have a little low end traction and a big top end charge where the centri has the advantage. either way you really can't go wrong, its more of what your long term goals are. I eventually want a forged shortblock, ported heads, cams, and more boost. I can grow into this blower full potential rather than it be maxed out.

showstopper2 said:
in response to the peak HP numbers, I told my tuner to keep it safe so the peak number was not as important. he could have spun the motor to 6500 and made 430rwhp but thats not the powerband I use every day.

like I stated, the procharger has more overall potential for the strip and is more than $1K cheaper allowing me to buy much better hard parts to support it. these were the main factors in my decision. I like the torque down low on the KB for a street car only but blowing the tires off at idle is expensive with my lead foot. I would rather have a little low end traction and a big top end charge where the centri has the advantage. either way you really can't go wrong, its more of what your long term goals are. I eventually want a forged shortblock, ported heads, cams, and more boost. I can grow into this blower full potential rather than it be maxed out.

My 433rwhp are at only 6000rpm, and I get ~415rwhp at 5500rpm so that's completely within everyday's powerband :rolleyes:
And I have the standard KB tune and no other improvements other than borla catback.
At 15psi (on forged block) the KB makes over 500rwhp so it doesn't look like it's maxed out at 9psi :D and so far seems to give better top end charge too :banana:

How much volume of air (at the intake) does
a KB (any version) supercharger push with
each revolution of its pulley?
The typical published info ...
flow at zero pressure, and/or
pressure at zero flow...
is useless.

This thread has become a pissing contest.

You have 2 different styles of SC, which both have their upsides and downsides.

A centrifugal blower will be faster at the track. no comparison.

A twinscrew blower will have more kick-in-the-ass feeling and is more fun to drive daily.

I decided to go with the KB. Money was not a factor and I am not going to be living at the track. During my daily driving I stay mostly between 3000-5000 rpm so I would not have used the full potential of the centrifugal blower.

Just ask yourself what is more important and make your decission.

Joe