Which tires for the drag strip?

ArkansasMystic

Feb 16, 2007
I'm in a small predicament and need some help. I have 2 full sets of tires/wheel. The first is my stock 17x8 wheels with 245/45/17 Nitto 555's all around. The second is a set of 04 Cobra rims 17x9 with 275/40/17 Hankook v4's (all season tire). I'm eventually gonna put some drag radials on my stock rims, but I'm gonna be running at the track next weekend and need to know the best setup to run. As far as tread life, they are both about the same (on both sets the rears are wore down to just about the wear bars). The temp will be a low of 40 and high of 60 for the day. I'm thinking I should run the 555's on stock wheels for the strip, but another part of me wants to run the wider tire. I also plan on using some track bite. Which setup do you guys think would help me get the best times? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The nitto being a summer tire will probably have better traction than most all-season tires. Another advantage is being mounted on the stock wheels saves a LOT of weight. Weight the 245-stock wheel combination and the 275-cobra wheel combination and I bet the difference is nearly 10lbs each! (which is HUGE in rotating weight).

However, I think driving ability and style will have a bigger effect on your times than which street tire you choose. After all, they are both street tires. I normally got the best times by slipping the clutch from 3000-3500. That gave me 2.0 and 2.1 60's on my all season yoko's with stock 3.27 gears. :p

I'm new to all of this, last season (my first time on the track) I was at 2.2 60 ft times. I was planning on running the stock rims on front because I would assume the less tire up front the better. Any other opinions?

I'm considering the BFG DR's for the future, but I just need the best of the worst so to speak. I'm not gonna have new tires by the 14th, so I just need to know which would hook better on the track. I'm planning on running the Nitto's and stock wheels. Being a summer tire and softer compound, I think they'll grip better despite being an inch narrower. Also, the stock wheels are lighter than the 04 Cobras I believe, so more weight savings. And finally, a narrower tire up front should help some as well.