Which Tires... GSD3's or KDWs???

turbogt

May 1, 2003
Montana
My new wheels are in the mail and I need tires for them now.. I have narrowed it down between GSD3's and KDW's... I don't drive in rain at all, but I like the tread design of KDW's and KD's are too expensive.. The GSD3's are about $100 more..
I am looking for the best road coarse handling street tire.. Any opinions and knowledge would be appreciated..

• Sponsors (?)

Can't speak for the KDW's .... but I am REALLY impressed with the performance of my F1's. Best street tire I have owned so far.

Only thing is .... the price. I may have to break down and get something else for the next round ... cuz they tend to be a little pricey. Hopefully I can get them again when that time comes around, though.

The GSD3's are the best rain tires you can get, but there are better dry tires. I'm not saying they're not good on dry road, they are awesome tires, but for the price and what you want to do with them I would look elsewhere.

I don't know anything about the KDW's, so I can't help you there.

There was a magazine that did a test on about 5 or 6 different tires a few years back, either road & track or motortrend I think. I remember the GSD3's were voted #1, but they were right in the middle of the pack in the dry tests. When I get some time I'll see if I can find that article again.

The GSD3's are the best rain tires you can get, but there are better dry tires. I'm not saying they're not good on dry road, they are awesome tires, but for the price and what you want to do with them I would look elsewhere.

I don't know anything about the KDW's, so I can't help you there.

There was a magazine that did a test on about 5 or 6 different tires a few years back, either road & track or motortrend I think. I remember the GSD3's were voted #1, but they were right in the middle of the pack in the dry tests. When I get some time I'll see if I can find that article again.

That would be awesome! Wet traction is not an issue AT ALL, because I do not drive in the rain...
Any other suggestions for tires would be great..

That would be awesome! Wet traction is not an issue AT ALL, because I do not drive in the rain...
Any other suggestions for tires would be great..

I got some Kumho Ecsta MX tires. The fronts I got new on Ebay for dirt cheap! They were like $75 each. I didn't find the size for the rear on Ebay so I got them at tire rack, they are much cheaper than most of the performance tires.

The reason I chose them was because of Tire rack. When you look up the Extreme performance summer tires for my rear size they only had 2 choices which were the Goodrich KD'S and the Ecsta MX's. They even have tests of them you can look up. The Max performance group is what the KDW'S are in, Not the Extreme performance. The KDW'S have a treadwear of around 300 where the Kumho's are around 200. They are softer and won't last as long, but they stick! The Goodrich KD's I think have a 180 tread wear.

The Kumho's beat the Goodrich KD'S in their overall rating and are WAY cheaper!! The KD's did turn in a little bit better track times though. I think they are exactly what you are looking for! :nice: They also work in the rain for those of you who do care.

Hope this link works to Tirerack and the test results
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=39

I just looked up the price on tire rack for my rears 295/35/18 $326 for Goodrich KD, $239 for Kumho Ecsta MX
so I paid a little over $600 for all my tires about the same as 2 Goodrich tires. My buddy got 245's and 265's on Ebay for $300 for all 4 tires. I wish they would have had my size for the rear!

u speak the truth about the kumhos, the fact their cheaper makes it worth dealing with the treadwear, but they are pretty damn grippy, im only running them in the rear and it made a huge difference in handling where b4 i thought i was going to spin out. and 1st gear barely wants to roast them now compared to no traction at all with the regular nitto 555. also the kumho is often compared to and competes with that one falken azenis tire which is another cheap option that u cant go wrong with.