Which tires? What do you run?

Well, i finnaly realized this morning that my tires are past thier prime. I got caught in a rapid downpour of a storm on my way to work, and it was sketch-tastic. I was hydro-planing all over the place and had trouble maintaining 90 in a 110 limit(KM/H). So needless to say, im in the market for some new tires.
Im currently running a staggard 245 front and 275 rear set of Falcon Ziex 512s, definatly not a high perf tire.

Im curious as to what kind of tire you run, and what would be good for a DD, that sees some action in the wet. I was thinking about trying a set of Nitto DR on the rear, but am worried that they wont be any better in the rain than the bald tires i have now.

Also, does anyone run a 275 in the front? I would like to be able to rotate my tires somewhat, to prolong thier life, but also want to stay as wide as possible on the rear

Jay

• Sponsors (?)

I ran Nitto 555s on the back and bent an axle launching from a stop light because I am a reformed douche bag and used to do things like that. Something to think about while rolling on the stock rear end. In my experience DRs are uniformly terrible in the rain.

I like Pirellis for regular around town driving. Falken Azenis are basically an autocross track tire so I would not recommend those.

When I had the 315s on the back it limits your choices to basically super expensive KDWs (buy if you can from what I hear, I couldn't swing the prices though), Sumitimotos(sp?) (which I had and would describe as mediocre) or DRs.

I ran 275 / 315s with no fitment problems, however my car was at the stock height.

Adam

running bridgestone potenza's right now, good tires.. trowing 285 pilot sports on the back sometime next week.

I've had Pirelli P6000 and goodyear eagle F1 GSD3's on my Probe GT. The eagles are great allround tires for a fair price, the P6000 are horrible, they get square so easily.

Drag radials in the rain are not what you want. They start out with 1/2 the tread.

My buddy got caught in the rain coming back from the track and his were worn down and he couldn't hardly go over 30mph without hydroplaning!

I have Nexen 3000s and they're ok...good all around tire for a DD, but they're not grippy at all. Very good in the rain though.

I'm gonna go back to Nitto DRs ASAP. I had a set on my old rims and love them!!! They're really grippy, last a while, and I never had a problem with them in the rain.

I run BF Goodrich KDW2's up fron 255's and Nitto DR's in the back. Not a daily driver. The BF Goodrich tires are really nice.

+1. They perform quite well in the rain and wear well compared to other tires in the same class.

I run 265's on a 9" rim up front. You could probably get away with a 275 with minor rubbing at wheel lock, but I wouldn't do anything beyond that. I have no rubbing with 265's.

I have NT555 in front and NT555R in back. Once the DRs wear out, I am putting regular NT555s in back and getting DRs on some 15" rims. I really like the way the Nitto, none DRs, wear. They seem to hold up real well. Oh yeah, really do not drive in the rain, but have and Nittos hold up good. DRs not bald yet though.