Which tuner to buy.....

90 lx convert

Stanger
Founding Member
Aug 13, 1999
Falling Waters Wv.
OK. I've been considering doing away with the SCT chip and buying a tuner. The chip is fine but everytime I change something I have to have it reflashed. What are you running? How do you like it? What's the best part about it? Worst? My setup-331 stroker, 15# boost, 90mm mas, 60# injectors, 75mm TB. My issues-warm/hot start, factory rev limiter, WOT timing, WOT fuel, part throttle fuel. I have a wide band and data logger so capturing RT data is not that crucial. Mike

• Sponsors (?)

I have the TWEECER RT. I like it a lot.

The pros: It can tune for all those issues you mentioned in your post and more. for example, injector timing. tweeking that helped me with better throtleresponce. Its a very powerful tool & you can change your tune yourself as needed instead of waiting on a chip to be reflashed. The technical support on the forum is awesome.

The Cons: I hear that it is a little more expensive than some other tuners but, ya get what ya pay for. You will want to buy Binary Editor & EEC Analyser (BE & EA) for your tuning software as what comes with the TWEECER RT is not that user friendly & doing your own tuning has a steep enough learning curve without software slowing you down.

Moates Quaterhorse with BE and EA.

Changes on the fly (don't tune while you drive!). Spend the money on the parts and time to research/learn; never have to pay another tuner again. WOT tuning at the track or dyno. My car has run the best with using a stock tune template with modifications for CID, injectors (low/hi slope, BP and battery offset), PT timing, WOT timing, WOT fuel and MAF transfer. Everything else has been experiments or minor tweaks.

Issues: tune hanging up (only after writing tune, might be a BE issue), easy enough to spot while datalogging: RPM, ECT and ACT will freeze their display. BE locking up occasionaly after stopping datalog (windows error?).

Well, I tell you, I think it's time I learn how to do this. The tech part of it is a challenge but it's also the coolest part too. I'll gladly spend the time learning how it works. These comments are what I wanted to hear and it's also why I didn't suggest a particular tuner in my post. Mike

Go on EECtuning.org, that website is very helpful with the quarterhorse and tweecer. I have a qh and love it so far. I didn't get to do any "real" tuning yet. I wanted to get my wideband up and running for datalogging purposes. There are some very knowledgeable people on that site.. Some will do a online tune for a little cash.

If BE isn't working properly for you, then get on eectuning and make a post... or contact Clint directly.
Clint is very responsive to fixing issues, or helping you figure out what your issue is.
By giving Clint a chance to fix the issue, the product becomes better.

Moates is also very responsive to fixing issues with the QuarterHorse.
This is in complete contrast to the TwEECer, which seems to have ceased support of the software. (not sure if the hardware is still supported???)

I've used tweecer rt, with it's supplied software. The software is junk.
I've used tweecer rt with BE/EA. Decent setup, but more expensive than it needed to be.
I've used Moates QH with BE/EA. If I had to invest in a tuning setup from scratch again, this would be it. Cost effective, well supported, and has greater functionality than tweecer.